• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

German economics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German economics

Daily Mash this morning. Sad, but so true;

UK TO BOYCOTT ALL GERMAN GOODS, EXCEPT CARS, BEER, KITCHEN APPLIANCES, ADIDAS AND KINDER SURPRISE

If only Germany could still boycott the Rover 200
    UK consumers last night pledged to buy British, unless there was an obviously superior German alternative.

As the economic war of words between London and Berlin escalated, millions of Britons said they would be happy to boycott German goods as long as it did not involve Volkswagen, Mercedes, Audi, Becks, Lowenbrau, Knorr chicken stock cubes and those chocolate eggs with the toy inside.

Germany, meanwhile, said it would boycott British goods as soon as it could find any.

Dr Tom Logan, an economist at the German-owned University of Reading, said: "If I was a confused recession-hit country looking for advice, I'd probably go with Germany, given that they still have an actual economy based on making stuff that people want to buy.

"Meanwhile, the British 'economy' seems to be based on selling each other money so that we can buy high quality German goods."

German finance minister Peer Steinbruck said: "Let's think, what could we boycott? Cars? Oh yeah, like everyone else in the world I really wanted a Rover 200. Ah, but what about the Mini, you say? Or the 'BMW Mini', to give it its full Bavarian title."

He added: "Beer? Yeah, we drink loads of British beer, it's sooo good. So I guess that means we'll just have to boycott Tizer and Jaffa Cakes."

Chancellor Alistair Darling said: "I will be boycotting a wide range of German goods and services apart from Aldi, obviously. It's so much cheaper. How do they manage it? Those Germans really do know what they're doing.

"And also those big hotdog sausages that come in a jar. Bloody love those."
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 12 December 2008, 09:02.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Daily Mash this morning. Sad, but so true;

UK TO BOYCOTT ALL GERMAN GOODS, EXCEPT CARS, BEER, KITCHEN APPLIANCES, ADIDAS AND KINDER SURPRISE

If only Germany could still boycott the Rover 200
    UK consumers last night pledged to buy British, unless there was an obviously superior German alternative.

As the economic war of words between London and Berlin escalated, millions of Britons said they would be happy to boycott German goods as long as it did not involve Volkswagen, Mercedes, Audi, Becks, Lowenbrau, Knorr chicken stock cubes and those chocolate eggs with the toy inside.

Germany, meanwhile, said it would boycott British goods as soon as it could find any.

Dr Tom Logan, an economist at the German-owned University of Reading, said: "If I was a confused recession-hit country looking for advice, I'd probably go with Germany, given that they still have an actual economy based on making stuff that people want to buy.

"Meanwhile, the British 'economy' seems to be based on selling each other money so that we can buy high quality German goods."

German finance minister Peer Steinbruck said: "Let's think, what could we boycott? Cars? Oh yeah, like everyone else in the world I really wanted a Rover 200. Ah, but what about the Mini, you say? Or the 'BMW Mini', to give it its full Bavarian title."

He added: "Beer? Yeah, we drink loads of British beer, it's sooo good. So I guess that means we'll just have to boycott Tizer and Jaffa Cakes."

Chancellor Alistair Darling said: "I will be boycotting a wide range of German goods and services apart from Aldi, obviously. It's so much cheaper. How do they manage it? Those Germans really do know what they're doing.

"And also those big hotdog sausages that come in a jar. Bloody love those."
    I'll be boycotting German music, German humour, German Food and German culture.. talk about sacrifice
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Except german stuff isn't always superior - of all the people I know with BMWs every one has needed unscheduled maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        I'll be boycotting German music
        Kraftwerk? Probably the most influential band of the 20th century

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          I'll be boycotting German music, German humour, German Food and German culture.. talk about sacrifice
          I know quite a few Germans who've boycotted German music and humour. When it comes to comsumer goods, I don't really have a choice. If I visit a shop in NL, the only British 'goods' on offer are British music (still the best) and erm...that's about it. Lots of German, Italian and French stuff but it's really difficult to think of anything British I could buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            Except german stuff isn't always superior - of all the people I know with BMWs every one has needed unscheduled maintenance.
            Image is important. People, rightly or wrongly, think that BMWs are good and that Rovers are tulipe. Try changing that perception. The Germans succeeded with the Mini in building a very succesful British car.

Comment

I find the germans have a really good sense of humour. If you tell a story about the austin princess, just change the car to an opel manta and they'll be rolling about in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
                I find the germans have a really good sense of humour. If you tell a story about the austin princess, just change the car to an opel manta and they'll be rolling about in no time.
                Yes, but they can also very quick to point out that Opel aren’t run by Germans, but Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Image is important. People, rightly or wrongly, think that BMWs are good and that Rovers are tulipe. .
                  That because they are. BMW's are the best cars in the world.

Why do you think there are more BMW's on our roads that Fords? Because they are the best drivers cars bar none. Nothing comes close in terms of handling, ride quality, steering, and comfort.

What other car can sit up the arse of the car in front at 155 MPH all day long and you can hear a flea fart it's that quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    That because they are. BMW's are the best cars in the world.

Why do you think there are more BMW's on our roads that Fords? Because they are the best drivers cars bar none.
                    Ach sooooo then in the 1970s the Ford Cortina was obviously the best car bar none?

Comment

Working...
                    X