• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows mail export problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows mail export problem

Windows Mail (Vista) is slow due to loads of messages. I would like to back up my email files and then delete what I don't immediately need but export does not work properly, it exports some directories but not others.

Looking in the hidden folders it appears to be exporting what it has there so where on earth is it storing the others that I can see in Mail? Compressed possibly (in WindowsMail.MSMessageStore ?) but why ain't it exporting these?

It also reports I have multiple identities but when I go through the wizard it changes its mind and says they have already been imported. Can't find my phantom directories in other user accounts either.

Anyone any clues? Cheers.

PS Found you can export the files but not whole directories by copying from mail to explorer but if anyone has easier solution?
    Last edited by xoggoth; 15 December 2008, 15:09.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

IIRC it's all been simplified in that all the emails are now stored as seperate text files buried beneath your user profile directory.

So need to export if you intend still using Windows Mail, just find the folder, back it up, and delete away!
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Cheers. The missing directories were all there, it had just tucked them away under inbox for some reason did not show as there in mail.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
      X