• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sky+ / Sky+ HD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sky+ / Sky+ HD

Evening All,

I am thinking about getting Fiance HC Sky for Christmas. She will love it, and it does have the added bonus of meaning I will have Discovery channels again!

I have 42" Toshiba HD T.V. (bargain last year on Curry's Christmas Day Online Sale!) - but it is only the 720 variety - none of this 1080 stuff!

So, for those of you who have Sky, is it worth me paying the extra £10 a month (£120 a year!!) for the HD option?

What do you think? TIA.

C.

There aren't that many HD channels, I think £10 a month is unjustified.

Comment

A 720P TV is capable of displaying 1080i which is what sky broadcasts so it will be fine.

There are no 1080P broadcasts, you need Bluray or another attached HD source for that.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
        There aren't that many HD channels, I think £10 a month is unjustified.
        They are increasing in number all the time, and I find a lot of the series that I watch are now in HD.

Personally I think it's worth it. When I bore visitors with a demonstration of the difference between SD and HD they all seem to appreciate the added picture quality - but then again they might just be humouring me
        Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I have Virgin, but VERY rarely watch anything in HD (and my TV does 1080). I don't pay any extra for it, but still view it as a bit of a gimmick.

That said, if I had to pay for it, I probably would, and would make sure I watched some HD content on it too
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Its probably just about worth it for the HD movies, but if you're not taking the movie pkg, probably not worth it.

Vague? Me?

"Keep them at 24,000"
            "No, feet"

Comment

In my opinion, viewed on a Sony 40" LCD Bravia TV, the Sky HD content is simply not worth the extra outlay over the SD broadcasts. Having said that, the new Samsung Sky HD box gives a far better SD picture than our previous PACE SD Sky+ box ever did.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
                Evening All,

I am thinking about getting Fiance HC Sky for Christmas. She will love it, and it does have the added bonus of meaning I will have Discovery channels again!

I have 42" Toshiba HD T.V. (bargain last year on Curry's Christmas Day Online Sale!) - but it is only the 720 variety - none of this 1080 stuff!

So, for those of you who have Sky, is it worth me paying the extra £10 a month (£120 a year!!) for the HD option?

What do you think? TIA.

C.
                If you've got the movie and sport channels, yes definitely. If not, then maybe. They do add new HD channels from time to time.

Comment

Rumour is, Sky will soon drop the HD sub. Possibly in the New Year.
                  Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
                    Rumour is, Sky will soon drop the HD sub. Possibly in the New Year.
                    Source?

< heads off to digital spy >
                    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Working...
                    X