• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calls for 'speed-limiting' cars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calls for 'speed-limiting' cars

Link

The speed-limiting devices will then use satellite positioning to check a vehicle's location and when its speed exceeds the limit, power will be reduced and the brakes applied if necessary.
    Will the satellite know if you're overtaking a caravan with a juggernaut coming the other way?

Will the person behind you be warned that your brakes may be suddenly applied for no apparent reason??

This looks like a back door for speeding fines and toll charges via satellite if you ask me, who in their right mind would voluntarily have this device fitted at an additional cost?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

the words 'that' and 'fark' spring to mind - not necessarily in that order...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      Will the satellite know if you're overtaking a caravan with a juggernaut coming the other way?
      You're not allowed to break the speed limit whilst overtaking. In the eyes of the law, crashing head on into a juggernaut at 60mph is safer than temporarily travelling at 70mph.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        You're not allowed to break the speed limit whilst overtaking. In the eyes of the law, crashing head on into a juggernaut at 60mph is safer than temporarily travelling at 70mph.
        This reminds me Judge Dredd (the movie):

Herman Ferguson: [Dredd trips over Fergie, who is fleeing the block war at Heavenly Haven, and is now judging him] 5 years? But I had to! They were killing each other in there!

Judge Dredd: You could have gone out the window.

Herman Ferguson: We're 40 floors up! That would have been suicide!

Judge Dredd: Maybe, but it's legal.

Comment

What happens when roads cross over each other - bridges for example - all of a sudden you're doing 70 and then the brakes slam on because you've just gone over/under a road with a 30 limit? Or you have roads close to each other with different limits? Or you drive pass side roads with different limits?

It'll never happen - just another idiot Labour pronouncement and media scaremongering.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I think fleet and hire cars and the like might go for them.

I live on a main road with a 30 limit, there are people driving past at 70 and there have been 3 accidents in the last few months, last one a car mounted the pavement right outside my drive. There should be something done as there is a high percentage of half wits on the road.

Comment

Recently the number of potty NuLab initiatives seems to have suddenly increased markedly (in both frequency and stupidity).

It couldn't possibly be that they're desperately trying to divert attention from the deteriorating economic situation.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                I think fleet and hire cars and the like might go for them.
                Supprisingly fleet managers were the ones most opposed to them according to the full report

http://www.cfit.gov.uk/docs/2008/isa/pdf/isa-report.pdf

Don't most GPS devices have the warning side of this built in to them anyway?

Comment

Maybe one day our illustrious leaders will understand that the predominant cause of accidents is stupid drivers rather than speed. Idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
                    Maybe one day our illustrious leaders will understand that the predominant cause of accidents is stupid drivers rather than speed. Idiots.
                    It might be interesting to investigate how many accidents occur when the news is on the radio and people lose it when they hear about Gordon’s next loony idea.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X