• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

being m(f)ucked about by agency for new job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

being m(f)ucked about by agency for new job

right where do I start.........interview, job offered, accepeted....sign contract. Start date set to the 19th Sep, agency then phone the Thursday before saying the client want me to start on the 26th.....so after some bartering I agree. But from yesturday the agency are saying not all the paper work is in place, HR have signed everything off, but higher up also need to sign off, which meens I may not be able to start on Monday ! They say the job is there, I've turned down a 6 month extention from my current contract, where do I stand if I don't start on Monday, can I bill the agency as this is my start date.......I need to start next week. many thanks!!!!!
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Read the contract does it say something like "the agency may terminate the contract prior to the start date" if so be careful they may not even of had an answer from the client but are trying to find ways of preventing you signing an extension where you currently are in case you actually do get an offer.

As they are already in breach of contract by not letting you start I would have thought that you are no longer under contract to them but - you must take legal advice if you take that route. Read the contract thoroughly but remember not everything in a contract is legally enforeable it must be seen to be a two-way agreement.

Comment

I would just turn up on Monday. If they can't sign off then ring up your old place and go there.

It isn't unusual for paperwork to be held up, but it is unusual to not have a definite starting date, that smacks of "client not sure, might 'can' the project"
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
        right where do I start.........interview, job offered, accepeted....sign contract. Start date set to the 19th Sep, agency then phone the Thursday before saying the client want me to start on the 26th.....so after some bartering I agree. But from yesturday the agency are saying not all the paper work is in place, HR have signed everything off, but higher up also need to sign off, which meens I may not be able to start on Monday ! They say the job is there, I've turned down a 6 month extention from my current contract, where do I stand if I don't start on Monday, can I bill the agency as this is my start date.......I need to start next week. many thanks!!!!!
        I would go back to your old job if you can and renew for six months and, if they allow you to go back, tell the new client and agency to stuff their job. It probably won't happen anyway if they're holding out with the paperwork and if you're getting good money where you were, why risk it? There's too much of this kind of thing going on for contractors to keep putting their own life on hold and it's very unfair on contractors.

I've just successfully billed a timewasting client for god knows how much preparation time I had for interviews which seemed to be never ending. I never allow anyone to waste my time or money anymore.
        Last edited by Denny; 23 September 2005, 15:20.

Comment

Good effort Denny!!! Stuff the pimps thats what I say!!!

n5gooner, give em the bird and go back to the old place. Who's the agency btw?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
          X