• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Morris dancing 'facing extinction'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morris dancing 'facing extinction'

Morris dancing could be "extinct" within 20 years because young people are too embarrassed to take part, a UK Morris association said today.

The numbers of people participating in the traditional British folk dance are dwindling whilst the age of the dancers is increasing, according to the Morris Ring, an association representing over 200 Morris troupes across Britain.

It is warning that "unless younger blood is recruited during the coming winter months, Morris dancing will soon become extinct".

Charlie Corcoran, Bagman of the Morris Ring, said: "There's a distinct possibility that in 20 years' time there will be nobody left.

"It worries me a great deal. Young people are just too embarrassed to take part.

"This is a serious situation. The average age of Morris dancing sides is getting older and older. Once we've lost this part of our culture it will be almost impossible to revive it."

The Morris Ring is hoping a winter recruitment drive could attract some new younger members in time for the spring when most troupes perform the dances they have been practising.

Paul Reece, chairman of the Advisory Council of the Morris Ring, said: "There is still time for new blood to get ready for the Spring fertility offensive.

"Such customs and activities were once a common sight around the country. Today they are carried out by an ever-dwindling stalwart band of enthusiasts who are determined to keep them alive.

"But there is a serious danger that, in less than a few decades, Morris dancing will be confined to the history books."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are some traditions that should just be left to die
    ǝןqqıʍ

Good!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      "It worries me a great deal. Young people are just too embarrassed to take part."

That's bollox. Just give 'em 10 pints of cider and they'll stick the maypole up their kazoo if requested.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

If young people from Britain are happy to wear fake burberry caps and prance around nightclubs in Ibiza with their trousers halfway down their arses what could be so embarrassing about Morris Dancing?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          Morris dancing could be "extinct" within 20 years because young people are too embarrassed to take part, a UK Morris association said today.
          heterosexual

...I'll go run and hide now
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
            heterosexual

...I'll go run and hide now
            PM. Surely you're not suggesting that these big, hearty, bearded, real-ale-swigging fellows are a bunch of gayers?

Then again...

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Why should we be so embarrassed about preserving a bit of our folk history? Lederhosen look ridiculous but the Bavarians don't seem bothered, we’re way too up tight in this country.

If we let this go where will it end? There'll be no cheese rolling next.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Keep it going, we all love it

Comment

When the b@stards came for the Morris Dancers,
                  I remained silent;
                  I was not a Morris Dancer.
                  When they ridiculed the Sealed Knot,
                  I remained silent;
                  I was not a Civil war re-enactment nut-job.

When they came for the Real Ale drinkers,
                  I did not speak out;
                  I was not a member of CAMRA.

When they came for the Gay boys and Frots,
                  I remained silent;
                  I was not a gay boy or a Frot. <cough>

When they came for me,
                  Everyone was too p1ssed to speak out

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment