• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 7 public beta released

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 7 public beta released

Looks like the first "public" (outside of MSDN) beta of Windows 7 is due to made available today for those interested.

< lights touch paper and retires to safe distance >
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Poking around on some other forums, Win7 looks like Vista, but really fast - faster than XP reportedly.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Poking around on some other forums, Win7 looks like Vista, but really fast - faster than XP reportedly.
      There are other forums?

I have a decent spec PC doing nowt much at home so I might give it a go.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

It's actually Vista 1.0

What was released as Vista was a pre alpha version of what it should have been.

But it's a chance to pay again to own the same operating system you've owned already.

Comment

So it could probably go on a machine that runs XP?

I have a pretty meaty laptop and vista runs like a bloody dog on it.

Comment

It's Vista with new bells and whistles. Vista is fine, now it's been out for a while, the drivers have caught up, and modern PCs are powerful enough to cope with it. But the name "Vista" has a bad reputation so they're re-releasing it with a different splash screen and some GUI changes to distance it from what was before. But it's still Vista underneath I'm sure.

XP had lots of compatibilty issues and accusations of being a resource hog when it first came out too.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              So it could probably go on a machine that runs XP?

I have a pretty meaty laptop and vista runs like a bloody dog on it.
              No 1st-hand experience but some people said it is significantly faster (including startup time) than XP. I heard one of the key aims is for this OS to work on notebooks and mini-PCs - real low-spec machines.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'm wondering if I should replace my Windows Server 2008 install on my laptop. That seems to run faster than Vista and has been rock solid from the start.

Comment

has anyone got this? what time is it release as public and its not on there yet?
                  I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

don't think public release is until Friday...

Comment

Working...
                    X