• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No wonder some companies struggle!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No wonder some companies struggle!

What a joke! Im not surprised some companies are going under.

Before christmas, one of our pc's blew up. Decided to replace it and buy a new one off a company I'd been thinking of buying from before as their spec looked good.

So, spec'd the pc up and placed an order with delivery guaranteed for christmas. Also paid £25 to have XP enabled using my key.

Base unit arrives as promised but in the wrong name. OK, slight prob but nothing drastic. Opens the box and there's very little information and a few of the driver discs etc. Sets the unit up, switch on and, er, well nothing!

Monitor gives message asking for boot media or something which considering I'd paid £25 to have it configured was starting to make me angry. So, checked all connections and tried again. Same result.

So I contact the company who are by now off on their chrissy lunch or something. Fires off an email to said co and leaves negative feedback on ciaow website.

Between chrissy and new year, the 'MD' drops me a mail demanding to know why I'd left neg feedback on the review site and asks me to remove it because trading is difficult! WTF!?

I replied telling him how about resolving the issues? He asks me to open up the case and check 'if a few connectors have come off in transit' Er, yerrss!

Said I wasnt happy doing that as this may invalidate the warranty and any future issues that may arise. He replies I wouldnt invalidate the warranty as he's told me to open it up. Fair enough, opens it up and surprise surprise, no connectors have come off.

Tells him that and ask for unit to be collected and a new replacement unti to be delivered at the same time. He wont agree to this so, I pack everything up, including driver discs and vga connector, booklets etc and, told them this in a mail.

Unit has now just been delivered and guess what? No driver discs, booklet and vga connector are included.mad.

Gets on the blower and asks for customer service, go through the rigors of giving the story, tells them I want all the stuff delivered tomorrow. Er I'll have to see if we can do that says the advisor! Asks if they can phone me back?

Fine I say, when? Dunno but I'llphone back. Not good enough, I want an approximate time, 1 hr, 2hr what? We wont do that because you'll only phone us if we havent phoned you back by then.

Eventually, they agree to phone back within the hour. 10 mins later the phone goes. Head man introduces him self and asks how I am. Not happy says I. OK box it up and we'll collect and give you your money back. Click.

WTF!?

Anyway, in a way I'd lost confidence in them so refund is ok. Thing is, should I let them collect the unit before I get the money refunded to my card?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    What a joke! Im not surprised some companies are going under.

Before christmas, one of our pc's blew up. Decided to replace it and buy a new one off a company I'd been thinking of buying from before as their spec looked good.

So, spec'd the pc up and placed an order with delivery guaranteed for christmas. Also paid £25 to have XP enabled using my key.

Base unit arrives as promised but in the wrong name. OK, slight prob but nothing drastic. Opens the box and there's very little information and a few of the driver discs etc. Sets the unit up, switch on and, er, well nothing!

Monitor gives message asking for boot media or something which considering I'd paid £25 to have it configured was starting to make me angry. So, checked all connections and tried again. Same result.

So I contact the company who are by now off on their chrissy lunch or something. Fires off an email to said co and leaves negative feedback on ciaow website.

Between chrissy and new year, the 'MD' drops me a mail demanding to know why I'd left neg feedback on the review site and asks me to remove it because trading is difficult! WTF!?

I replied telling him how about resolving the issues? He asks me to open up the case and check 'if a few connectors have come off in transit' Er, yerrss!

Said I wasnt happy doing that as this may invalidate the warranty and any future issues that may arise. He replies I wouldnt invalidate the warranty as he's told me to open it up. Fair enough, opens it up and surprise surprise, no connectors have come off.

Tells him that and ask for unit to be collected and a new replacement unti to be delivered at the same time. He wont agree to this so, I pack everything up, including driver discs and vga connector, booklets etc and, told them this in a mail.

Unit has now just been delivered and guess what? No driver discs, booklet and vga connector are included.mad.

Gets on the blower and asks for customer service, go through the rigors of giving the story, tells them I want all the stuff delivered tomorrow. Er I'll have to see if we can do that says the advisor! Asks if they can phone me back?

Fine I say, when? Dunno but I'llphone back. Not good enough, I want an approximate time, 1 hr, 2hr what? We wont do that because you'll only phone us if we havent phoned you back by then.

Eventually, they agree to phone back within the hour. 10 mins later the phone goes. Head man introduces him self and asks how I am. Not happy says I. OK box it up and we'll collect and give you your money back. Click.

WTF!?

Anyway, in a way I'd lost confidence in them so refund is ok. Thing is, should I let them collect the unit before I get the money refunded to my card?
    No

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      should I let them collect the unit before I get the money refunded to my card?
      I would - if you have a problem then go back to the card provider and tell them (assuming it's a Visa or credit card rather than debit card).
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        I would - if you have a problem then go back to the card provider and tell them (assuming it's a Visa or credit card rather than debit card).
        Actually that's a more sensible answer than mine so

^^^

WHS

Comment

Use Cougar Extreme - fantastic service. I even had a single pixel out on the LCD and they swapped it for another one.

Comment

Also name and shame.
            Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

This is where you find that if you paid by company credit card, the card company is only interested in whether the goods were delivered or not.

I found this out the hard way, and it was a more or less identical story.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                This is where you find that if you paid by company credit card, the card company is only interested in whether the goods were delivered or not.

I found this out the hard way, and it was a more or less identical story.
                In that case, you need to change your card company. Under the Sale of Goods Act (1975) the goods must be fit for purpose - both provider and card company have a legal obligation to ensure this.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

In that case, you need to change your card company. Under the Sale of Goods Act (1975) the goods must be fit for purpose - both provider and card company have a legal obligation to ensure this.
                  It's been a long time since I went into the Sale of Goods Act, but if I remember correctly, the end consumer gets more protection than a business, and that's the gist of what I got from Visa. Of course that doesn't mean that the CC company wasn't trying it on.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
                    Use Cougar Extreme - fantastic service. I even had a single pixel out on the LCD and they swapped it for another one.

Linky? Ta.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X