• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selling company van to self

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling company van to self

Darn insurance company no longer does van insurance so have renewed with another company. But they won't cover company owned vehicles. I assume all I need to be legal owner is to pay nominal sum to my company (it goes to scrapyard in 5 weeks and is virtually worthless) issue myself a receipt and send off thing to DVLC. Any pitfalls for tax purposes? Cheers for any comments.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

IR will look at tax written down value in the year of sale. If you pay less than the tax written down value there will be tax relief on the difference between the tax written down value and the amount paid. If you pay more than the tax written down value then the company will pay CT (at the company rate) on excess paid over tax written down value.

Revenue will expect the van to be sold at market rate!
    TB
    Let's go to Italy

Comment

The market value for a van that has several dent's and a blown engine would be quite low. - Beacause of the cost of repair.
      Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Cheers for that. Goes like a bomb. Shame about bodywork.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
        X