• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can my Ltd co. pay for conservatory in my house.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can my Ltd co. pay for conservatory in my house.

ahh i dont even know what i am trying to ask.

I need a conservatory, and i need an office space.
    I dont have money, my Ltd company does

Is it possible to use ltd company money to build conservatory in my house. My dividends are already maxed out

cheers css_jay99

IANAA

In theory at least, if you work out the propotion of time it will be used as an office rather than a conservatory for you and the family then your ltd. can contribute that proportion of the cost.

You would probably be able to justify that in the event of HMRC pokeing thier noses in. No way on earth you would be able to get the full cost.

Another route would be to take a directors loan for the amount needed, assuming it is less than £5000, and pay it back in installments. Privided you cleared the loan within 9 months of your ltd's year end there should be no problems. Probably safer and easier than the first option.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

No.

Well technically it is probably possible, but the IR will look very dimly on it, and you'll be expected to pay tax on the gains from the company when you sell the house.

What do you mean maxed out dividends?
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

But doesn'y your company then own a proprtion of the house? So at sale time you have to pay CGT?

Comment

You *could* do it so that the ltd is actually taking out a lease, paid in advance, on the conservatory. Probably causes all sorts of issued with your mortgage provider re. subletting etc.

If you are that desperate the Directors Loan is probably the only way to do it without causing grief down the line, assuming you manage to pay it back.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

IANAA

I have been advised by my accountant that it would not be good for the company to pay for the build (sell on issues as BP states).

The company can pay for refurbishment, i.e. cabling, furniture, etc as this can all be removed when you sell the house.

I am waiting on detials on the issue of charging my company rent for the home office (how does this effect personal tax, etc.).

HTH.

Coalman
            Beer
            is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              But doesn'y your company then own a proprtion of the house? So at sale time you have to pay CGT?
              Yes - so probably not worth it.

Plus you may also lay yourself open to paying business rates as well.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                What do you mean maxed out dividends?
                Guessing he's hit the higher rate bracket.

Comment

why worry about CGT - Capital GAINS Tax - which way are house prices heading? Just make sure when you sell it is difficult to work out the gains and if there is a bit of gain then the tax to pay is reduced over time so it may not be such a big bill after all?
                  This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                    Guessing he's hit the higher rate bracket.
                    Yes definately have. used div to pay for 2.5yr old X5 last year.

will be taking £5k out before end of tax year to fund kitchen & bathroom refurbishments.

i honestly don know why i bother, i'm probably in negative equity by now

I guess the conservatory will have to wait.

I wonder how difficult it is to build 1 myself i.e foundation and brick work?. any one attempted it?

css_jay99

Comment

Working...
                    X