• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do if baliffs come knocking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do if baliffs come knocking

Following on from post on bn66 thread : what should one do if the baliffs come knocking?

This is in the case where HMRC have agreed you owe nothing : but the baliffs come round anyway.

Do they have right of entry? Should one call the police?

What are the dos and donts?

Thrad in accounting/legal so no stupid responses please.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk/...liff-guide.php

Take note of the bit stating that "bailiffs from the Collector of Taxes (Inland Revenue) can get a warrant to force entry, but this is very rare."

Comment

Ensure that the bailiff has a warrant to enter with the correct details on it.

Do not invite them in...

Remember that they can not remove any goods without a police presence.

On every level they will tell you anything to make you pay up, do not believe them, check out your legal rights before this happens so you are in a position of strength should they ever arrive at your door.

Comment

I believe that without a warrant no-one can force entry lawfully unless they have fair reason to suspect illegal activities or to save someone from injury.

Bailiffs will have a warrant if they are court appointed and on official court business.

Revenue officers (Customs and VAT) carry a blanket warrant, a VAT inspector showed me his once while we chatted as he did an inspection, was very interesting as he wanted to work on the Customs cutters.
        Last edited by TykeMerc; 20 January 2009, 20:22.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Following on from post on bn66 thread : what should one do if the baliffs come knocking?

This is in the case where HMRC have agreed you owe nothing : but the baliffs come round anyway.

Do they have right of entry? Should one call the police?

What are the dos and donts?

Thrad in accounting/legal so no stupid responses please.

Thanks in advance.
          As already stated.... they do not have the right of entry without a warrant or sufficient proof that you are acting unlawfully. If you have proof that the HMRC have agreed that you owe nowt... print this out and show it to them and tell them to sort it out before coming to knock on your door again.
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I was an Inspector of Taxes - I told the Collector what to collect but was not involved in the actual collection - - - - - if the bailiff does call I think I am right in saying - do not let him in - if you invite him in then he is across the threshold - on the initial call he does not have the right of entry - but if you invite him in .. well -- don't .. I stand to be corrected as this is not area of expertise but I think that I am right ...

Bob

Comment

yeah read this http://money.uk.msn.com/mortgages/mo...entid=12903468

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Jones View Post
                I was an Inspector of Taxes - I told the Collector what to collect but was not involved in the actual collection - - - - - if the bailiff does call I think I am right in saying - do not let him in - if you invite him in then he is across the threshold - on the initial call he does not have the right of entry - but if you invite him in .. well -- don't .. I stand to be corrected as this is not area of expertise but I think that I am right ...

Bob
                Once a bailiff has been granted entry once then he subsequently allowed to force entry as many times as he wants.

You were an inspector of taxes eh? What can you tell us about IR35 investigation and collection from the dark side then?

Comment

I just got this from montp in case the baliffs call :-

My advice is don't let them in and tell them (the bailiffs) to get in touch with the local compliance inspector.

Apparantly the bailiffs/collectors are supposed to check with the local compliance office if it's ok for them to make the visit but unfortunatly that bit of the chain seems to not be happening -

Problem is that there are 2 separate depts with two diff systems.... crazy or what???

Comment

They will be told they are on private property and to leave immediately if they even set foot in my front garden
                    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                    X