• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax return - second opinion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax return - second opinion

In the 2007-8 tax year I started my ltdco (nov 2007) , but took no income (no dividends or salary) as it was just starting. I did take a directors loan (£5k) as I needed some cash though.

My accountant says I don't need to make any reference to any of this on my tax return (I have this in writing). I'm a bit dubious, but I like their answer... what does the panel think?

Did you pay the loan back?

If so then it's not income....
    Still Invoicing

Comment

I haven't paid it back yet, (but I'm not beyond 9 months after myco's y/e yet)

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        I haven't paid it back yet, (but I'm not beyond 9 months after myco's y/e yet)
        Can you not declare it as / convert it to a Dividend by not taking any further dividends which covers the amount in question?
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          Can you not declare it as / convert it to a Dividend by not taking any further dividends which covers the amount in question?
          Yes I can, and I will. My question was really about whether I need to declare anything about my directorship on the 2007-8 return - I am starting to think my accountant is right and there's nothing to write about on there.

Comment

There are two aspects of loans from your own company - one is the act of borrowing from your own company which can produce a corporation tax charge - the other is that the loan is likely to be interest free in which case there is a potential benefit and income tax charge - without knowing the full facts it is impossible to judge....if the £5000 in question is a genuine loan then I assume that this is recorded in the Company minutes .... HMRC will expect to see this - for information on the income tax charge see http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM26100.htm - for information on the corporation tax charge see http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/ctmanual/CTM61500.htm
            Regards
            Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X