• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charity

Can MyCo Ltd give a modest sum to charity, just like that, straight off the top with no tax liability for it?

I believe so. But does it make any difference if your company does it or you do?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      I believe so. But does it make any difference if your company does it or you do?
      Yes it does: I am in effect giving the tax and NI (including employer's) to the charity as well.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        Yes it does: I am in effect giving the tax and NI (including employer's) to the charity as well.
        I have been thinking about doing something similar myself... but didn't know about the tax advantages of doing so. I don't suppose you have any web references to back up the tax & NI benefits?
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

My company sponsored my wife in her race for life charity run. I just wrote out a company cheque and the accountant was fine with it.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
            I have been thinking about doing something similar myself... but didn't know about the tax advantages of doing so. I don't suppose you have any web references to back up the tax & NI benefits?
            No, that is exactly my question. If I just send a cheque from the Company bank account, is that taken to be:
            1. something allowable that the company did, so that money is not counted in profit or in salary.
            or
            2. something permissible but it still forms part of the Company profit, therefore liable to CT.
            or
            3. something I personally would be considered to have done, i.e. that money will be taken as having been a net salary payment, therefore income tax and NICs will have to be back-calculated on it.

As I say, I don't know, that's why I am asking. It is arithmetically self-evident that if #1 is the case, then I can give more to the charity for a given cost to me.
            Last edited by expat; 27 January 2009, 09:24.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
              My company sponsored my wife in her race for life charity run. I just wrote out a company cheque and the accountant was fine with it.
              Thanks. As usual, I think I'll ask my accountant.....

Comment

If you pay personally, charities can normally claim back Gift Aid from the government which works out as around 30% on top of what you give... essentially they are claiming back all the tax that was paid on this in the first place.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  If you pay personally, charities can normally claim back Gift Aid from the government which works out as around 30% on top of what you give... essentially they are claiming back all the tax that was paid on this in the first place.
                  Thanks but I do know that. But this does not allow the charity to claim back all that MyCo Ltd and I have paid to HMRC on this money: Employer's NICs, Employee's NICs, and 40% income tax.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    No, that is exactly my question. If I just send a cheque from the Company bank account, is that taken to be:
                    1. something allowable that the company did, so that money is not counted in profit or in salary.
                    or
                    2. something permissible but it still forms part of the Company profit, therefore liable to CT.
                    or
                    3. something I personally would be considered to have done, i.e. that money will be taken as having been a net salary payment, therefore income tax and NICs will have to be back-calculated on it.

As I say, I don't know, that's why I am asking. It is arithmetically self-evident that if #1 is the case, then I can give more to the charity for a given cost to me.
                    Sorry, I misread your post. However, I would be interested in finding out. So I may speak to my accountant about it. I know a friend of mine who owns a reseller does donate some money from his business to charity... and I may ask him when I get the chance.
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                    X