• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Total tax paid on dividends at higher rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total tax paid on dividends at higher rate

Setting aside national insurance, I was under the impression that taking the profits/dividends route roughly equates to about 40% once you get into the higher rate band - basically the same as normal income taxation.

For every £100, I thought it was 21% corporation tax, then the shareholder pays about 25% on what's left on their self assessment return

So 100 - 21% = 79

Then 79 - 25% = 59.25

However, I now see that the higher rate taxation is basically 32.5%. The shareholder pays 25%, but the company pays the rest in addition to the corporation tax already paid.

So the overall higher taxation rate is about 47%.

Is this right. My "day job" is inside IR35, so I am a higher rate taxpayer. But I have built up a bit of capital in the company through non IR35 consultancy and paid corporation tax on it. It is going to cost me another 32.5% to actually take it out in addition to the 21% already paid.

I'm going to check with my accountant, but just wondering if anyone has a quick answer on it.

Thanks

Originally posted by centurian View Post
    Setting aside national insurance, I was under the impression that taking the profits/dividends route roughly equates to about 40% once you get into the higher rate band - basically the same as normal income taxation.

For every £100, I thought it was 21% corporation tax, then the shareholder pays about 25% on what's left on their self assessment return

So 100 - 21% = 79

Then 79 - 25% = 59.25

However, I now see that the higher rate taxation is basically 32.5%. The shareholder pays 25%, but the company pays the rest in addition to the corporation tax already paid.

So the overall higher taxation rate is about 47%.

Is this right. My "day job" is inside IR35, so I am a higher rate taxpayer. But I have built up a bit of capital in the company through non IR35 consultancy and paid corporation tax on it. It is going to cost me another 32.5% to actually take it out in addition to the 21% already paid.

I'm going to check with my accountant, but just wondering if anyone has a quick answer on it.

Thanks
    Where have you got 25% from?
    For tax on dividends you pay either 10% or 32.5% depending on whether you are above or below the higher rate threshold, less 10% tax credit.
    So, if you are below the threshold the tax rate is 0% (10 - 10).
    Above the threshold (as you are), you pay 22.5%.

Comment

And it's not "in addition to" corp tax.

It's a 10% tax credit that you get because corp tax has been paid.
      Still Invoicing

Comment

The extra tax on divs is 25% of the net dividend or 22.5% of the gross, the tax is the same.
        "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
          And it's not "in addition to" corp tax.

It's a 10% tax credit that you get because corp tax has been paid.
          Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
          The extra tax on divs is 25% of the net dividend or 22.5% of the gross, the tax is the same.
          Yep, I'm starting to get my head around it now.

From what I understand, the dividend gets "grossed up", but only 90% of it gets paid and then 10% credit gets applied. This basically amounts to 25% of what's left after 21% has been paid.

But the key point is that total tax paid (by company and shareholder) on the higher rate is about 40% - right

Trust HMRC to make what should be a simple calculation (i.e. the company's already paid 21% - you cough up the rest) into something so complicated.

Why not simply make it 25% of the paid dividend in the first place. Wonder if this is something to do with different rates of corporation tax for different sized companies.

Thanks for the info chaps...

Comment

Working...
          X