• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ISA's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISA's

Ladies and gentleman of the richer variety, and the financial geniuses.

I have been filling up an ISA for the last 4 years.

Interest over the last 4 months has gone £52, £43, £34, £20!

I'm not really looking forward to seeing it next month

Is it best to leave it in an ISA as it will go back up in the long run and can obviously only but £3k odd a year in, or is there a better option?

Won't need to access it for over a year maybe 2 depending on when the market bottoms out.

Thanks
    l l l http://www.thewantedfans.com

Cheers.

Red or Black it is then.

Comment

For £3K a year WGAS. It's not worth worrying about is it?

Go on some nice family holidays with the money and forget about ISA's

Comment

Depends a bit on your financial situation, but, if you've still got a mortgage I'd seriously consider taking the cash out of your ISA and sticking it in an offset - it's just as tax efficient and despite the recent rate cuts unless you're with Cheltenham and Gloucester then you'll still be paying more interest on your mortgage than you're receiving from your investment.
        Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Ravello View Post
          Depends a bit on your financial situation, but, if you've still got a mortgage I'd seriously consider taking the cash out of your ISA and sticking it in an offset - it's just as tax efficient and despite the recent rate cuts unless you're with Cheltenham and Gloucester then you'll still be paying more interest on your mortgage than you're receiving from your investment.
          No morgage.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            WGAS.
            We need to start a thread just for abbreviations!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
              We need to start a thread just for abbreviations!!
              Who Gives A S....

Comment

Who Gives A S....
                Thanks Rav... I don't know what that was either
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Money Money Money View Post
                  No morgage.
                  Depends on your attitude to risk then really. Personally if I'd paid off the mortgage I'd be tempted to try and pick out some shares for the long term (in a maxi ISA), but evidently that could go horribly awry. Currency trading is even more risky unless you really know what you're doing, or, are incredibly lucky!

You could chuck the money in a Personal Pension which would give you the tax efficiencies, but again that's more long term since most funds won't start to appreciate until the conditions improve - by which time the interest rate on your ISA will likely start to grow again.

So all-in-all it's probably just as wise to keep it where it is and not read your next interest statement Either that or take it all out and spank it on some trader's Porsche that he's trying to get rid of on the cheap..

Comment

You could chuck the money in a Personal Pension which would give you the tax efficiencies, but again that's more long term since most funds won't start to appreciate until the conditions improve - by which time the interest rate on your ISA will likely start to grow again.
                    Depends how old you are. For me in my 50s, no interest rate on the planet can compare to grossing-up 40% tax, I just don't have time for compounding to build up.

Comment

Working...
                    X