• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Bank Interest classed as IR35 income ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Bank Interest classed as IR35 income ?

Question: my current (only) contract falls under IR35. Does the interest that I get paid on the company bank account get treated as IR35 income when calculating the deemed salary ? Also I get a VAT discount under the Flat Rate Scheme. Is this extra money IR35 income as well ? Thanks !

Yes. Yes.

IR35 works on all income as a result of one contract - you wouldn't get the interest or the VAT if you didn't have the contract. QED.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Are you quite certain of that Malvolio? I'm not. Just because money is earned on "deemed salary" I am not sure it becomes earned income.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 2 October 2005, 12:41.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
        Are you quite certain of that Malvolio? I'm not. Just because money is earned on "deemed salary" I am not sure it becomes earned income.
        Xog is correct. Interest and VAT do not form part of the IR35 deemed payment calculation (according to my accountant).

Comment

But then Malovolio is usually pretty hot on accountancy matters. Any input from any proper accounty type people? Interesting to know for sure.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
            But then Malovolio is usually pretty hot on accountancy matters. Any input from any proper accounty type people? Interesting to know for sure.
            If he is right, I'll be having words with my accountant for sure.

Comment

Virtual VAT from the Flat Rate scheme is a slight mystery in IR35 terms, I agree, since it came in long after IR35. But that said, it is included in CT calculations,as is interest income, so I can't see it being outside IR35.

AFAIK, your deemed IR35 salary is total income, less allowable deductions such as pension and expenses, less 5%. Hwoever I will (just this once!) be willing to be proved wrong on this one!
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                Virtual VAT from the Flat Rate scheme is a slight mystery in IR35 terms, I agree, since it came in long after IR35. But that said, it is included in CT calculations,as is interest income, so I can't see it being outside IR35.

AFAIK, your deemed IR35 salary is total income, less allowable deductions such as pension and expenses, less 5%. Hwoever I will (just this once!) be willing to be proved wrong on this one!
                I've just looked at the IR35 section on the HMCR webtulipe and none of the examples include interest in the calculation. It doesn't say one way or the other though so I would not take that as conclusive. The only time my accountant did a deemed calculation for IR35 (in 2000), he said interest was not included and this was never challenged. Stands to reason though - I'd rather keep the money in a non-interest paying account than pay 95% of the interest to fat boy.

As far as VAT goes, I would have thought the business precedent of decades applies, which is you simply ignore it for anything other than VAT calculations.

Comment

Lucifer's right interest and investments like shares are treated differently.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                    Only the income from the contract that is caught by IR35 is included in the deemed salary calculation. Bank interest, share dividends, income from other sources not caught by IR35 are EXCLUDED from the deemed salary calculation.
                    TB
                    Let's go to Italy

Comment

Working...
                    X