• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switzerland - tax info and management companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switzerland - tax info and management companies

Hi,

Could you recommend me management companies that do payroll in Switzerland?

Additionaly I always thought that tax on my salary would be nice, but i've heard from one guy that in Geneva region retention could be even 63%...
    Whats your exeprience?

Thanks
    Tomasz

RMIT
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Albany www.thealbanygroup.com .

I have also worked via RMIT (they were the Agency, not just the payroll). Happy with both.

Can recommend Christian Dietrich ( [email protected] ) as accountant in Zürich. Albany know him.

Don't mean to spam, but if I go back to CH that's where I'll go. Welcome to a place where you can phone your bank and speak to someone in good English at your own branch.
      Last edited by expat; 4 February 2009, 11:36.

Comment

What canton is your gig in? Geneva?

Comment

The city is Lausanne...

I've heard 63% retention is there from contractor's point of view
          Do you confirm that?
          Do you know if I can deduct my tax having wife and/or child (i see that they are giving few extra % for that)...

Thanks in advance

Comment

Tax calculator here Lausanne is in canton Vaud.

For an accountant, you should get one who is familiar with Vaud rules. Tax varies from commune to commune, and the rules can vary as well. There are three tax takes - commune, canton, federal - all with different allowances. 37% overall might just be the marginal rate. The actual retention should be higher. But it does depend very much on your circumstances.

Yes, there are deductions for family and children. You may be entitled to family allowance. You may get a deduction if you're maintaining a home in the UK.

Comment

Hi,

Are there any others that people would recommend for Switzerland? I've had one quote from one of the aforementioned and would like to compare what management companies have to offer. CHF13/hr for management fee appears pretty high to me - over CHF2000/month!!

I'm looking at contracting in Basel direct with client if possible so if anyone out there has a good retention rate, pls get in touch! I'd be happy to buy you a beer when I get there!

Thanks

PC

Comment

Hi tomekjk

Tried to PM you, but you haven't been 'vetted' yet.

Did you have any luck with this? I have been looking into this as well at the momnet as should be there mid-year. Have emailed about 15 payroll companies now so will see what their response is to fees etc.

Regards,

PC

Comment

Originally posted by PharmaContractor View Post
                  ...CHF13/hr for management fee appears pretty high to me - over CHF2000/month!!
                  It's about 10%. Try getting a UK agency to work for less than that for a contract you've found.

Originally posted by PharmaContractor View Post
                  I'm looking at contracting in Basel direct with client if possible so if anyone out there has a good retention rate, pls get in touch! I'd be happy to buy you a beer when I get there!

Thanks

PC
                  To contract in Basel direct, you'll either need to set up a GmbH, or work as a sole trader. To be a sole trader, you have to prove you have three or more clients.

Note, some companies get leary about direct contracts after a couple of years. Roche do, Novartis don't. There's no real reason for this.

Outside of Basel, you may have to get an employment license to contract direct through a GmbH. Basel, thankfully, recognises that there isn't a need for employment licenses for one man companies.

In some, rare, circumstances you can use your uk ltd co.
                  Last edited by NotAllThere; 10 February 2009, 08:39.

Comment

Working...
                  X