• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents exaggerating?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agents exaggerating?

Just had a call about a role today from Agent B, sounded really good then I figured it was one I'd already been put forward for yesterday by Agent A.

Once I explained I'd already been put forward the tone quickly changed from quite interested, to quite dismissive.. also slipped into the conversation was "yes, we've had enormous interest on this one with over 600 applicants, for which we've put forward a fair few".

I better not get my hopes up then!
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

I had an agent laugh at me today when he asked me my rate. So I told him, then he asked me my rock bottom rate, so I knocked a couple of quid off, then he laughed.

Still, when you're currently on said rate, the last laugh is on the pimp...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
      Just had a call about a role today from Agent B, sounded really good then I figured it was one I'd already been put forward for yesterday by Agent A.

Once I explained I'd already been put forward the tone quickly changed from quite interested, to quite dismissive.. also slipped into the conversation was "yes, we've had enormous interest on this one with over 600 applicants, for which we've put forward a fair few".

I better not get my hopes up then!
      I've told you 17 billion times, don't exaggerate!
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I've had another example of exaggeration today as well.

Call from agent saying he has a role for a government agency but they only select candidates via a reference screening process first

When I said I only give out references on a contract offer he said he couldn't put me forward for the role, a boo hoo I've missed out there

Comment

majority of agents are talking even more tulipe in the current market.

The good thing is that more and more companies are starting to get candidates directly - so make sure you are on Monster for one......this is the most used site from a client perspective.

Hopefully we'll see more agents go bust in the current year as they serve no purpose in the foodchain.

Comment

He might be exaggerating, but over here in NL it’s bloody difficult to get put through for a role right now because the big consultancies like Crap Gemini, Logicack and so on are sending 10s of CVs at a time to the agents to try and get their useless numpties off the bench. As well as that, there are redundant permies offering their services at idiotic low rates, having obviously not thought about the real costs of being in business. Some fool offered himself to an agent I know at 30 euros per hour as a tester. This particular agent who I know and trust (!?!?) turned him down, saying that if he thinks he can pay himself a salary and cover all his costs on that rate, he’s obviously too stupid to do the work the client needs.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
              majority of agents are talking even more tulipe in the current market.

The good thing is that more and more companies are starting to get candidates directly - so make sure you are on Monster for one......this is the most used site from a client perspective.

Hopefully we'll see more agents go bust in the current year as they serve no purpose in the foodchain.
              That's interesting info, thanks for that. I'll get on there today! I always thought Monster was just a low-level/junior version of jobserve for university leavers.
              The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Oiye Dodgy! Kill!!

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
                  I've had another example of exaggeration today as well.

Call from agent saying he has a role for a government agency but they only select candidates via a reference screening process first

When I said I only give out references on a contract offer he said he couldn't put me forward for the role, a boo hoo I've missed out there
                  It wasn't Hoaxley was it?

Comment

As long as they dont owe my company anything then fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X