• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting, Fatherhood and the Wife/Inlaws?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting, Fatherhood and the Wife/Inlaws?

I'm sure most of you come across this dilemma - well its not really a dilemma because im doing what i do and thats that! but just thought i'd share anyway.

Mrs is now pregnant and her parents have always asked me why i contract and dont have a perm job. I've explained the 2 to 3x perm salary, flexibility, etc.. but it falls on deaf ears. The mrs worrys when my contracts come to an end about when i'll next get work etc, her parents obviously have a part to play in her opinion as they come from a time when people had a "job for life" etc.. bearing in mind i havent been out of work for more than 1 week in the past 2yrs..

Anyway she's not comfortable that i wont get a perm job (on say 30k a year) i say to her "look i can contract for 6-9 months and earn the same as i would in 12 months as a permie, so that means, worst case if im out of work for 3 months i get home time with her for the same income as a perm job!?

feel like im banging my head against the wall

I live in the same world !

Comment

That extra money from being a contractor will be very useful for junior.

Or, you could go perm to keep them happy and lean on the parents to buy the things you can no longer afford.

I wonder if their opinions may change when its hitting them in the pocket ?

Comment

Tell em to mind their own!!

Failing that, show them a house you can afford as a contractor, then show them one you can afford on a permie salary, that'll shut them up.

Failing that, go down the pub...
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I told them i earn X THOUSAND ££ extra per month being a contractor.....still get deaf ears.

Situation now is - ok mrs you look after the baby and make sure its growing well in your belly, i'll keep food on the table however i see fit. as for the parents they can mind their own or i'll open up a can of whip ass on them

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
            Tell em to mind their own!!

Failing that, show them a house you can afford as a contractor, then show them one you can afford on a permie salary, that'll shut them up.

Failing that, go down the pub...
            Tough love again, eh?

You could also divorce the wife and find some new inlaws who keep their opinions to themselves.
            I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
              Anyway she's not comfortable that i wont get a perm job (on say 30k a year) i say to her "look i can contract for 6-9 months and earn the same as i would in 12 months as a permie, so that means, worst case if im out of work for 3 months i get home time with her for the same income as a perm job!?

feel like im banging my head against the wall
              When she inevitably wants to give up work she'll change her mind. Then is when the zeroes count for everything.

Comment

Too late now, but you should have told them you are managing director of your own business.

Maybe explain that you're in good company with dentists, solicitors & accountants, journalists & newsreaders, barristers (any more?)

Comment

These days no job is safe : contract or permie.

Comment

Get a permie job for a month and make sure they fire you (shouldn't be hard in the current economic climate.

Then say "Look same security as contracting for half the wage, can I go back to doing my thing now?"

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X