• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No budget available, sorry!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No budget available, sorry!

Hi there,

I have been circulating my CV for the last month and have applied for quite a few jobs. I have had 3 interviews so far, all with very good feedback: I get the feeling i do very well during the interview, the agent confirms this to me the next day after having talked to the client, saying that i am their number one preference etc etc and then (in all three cases) i got the same outcome. One day the agent calls and tells me that the client decided that there is no budget at the moment BUT they might have some money in 2-3 months etc etc. Thank you very much for your time blah blah blah...

Did you have many of this sort of excuse before? If they didn't have the money, why they were interviewing, in some cases with "Immediate start" notes? Or it might be the agent talking rubbish?

Also, has any of you managed to get the contact information of the client during an interview? How can one ask for this info nicely? I am concerned that i am misrepresented

Thanks

Originally posted by malandri
    Hi there,

I have been circulating my CV for the last month and have applied for quite a few jobs. I have had 3 interviews so far, all with very good feedback: I get the feeling i do very well during the interview, the agent confirms this to me the next day after having talked to the client, saying that i am their number one preference etc etc and then (in all three cases) i got the same outcome. One day the agent calls and tells me that the client decided that there is no budget at the moment BUT they might have some money in 2-3 months etc etc. Thank you very much for your time blah blah blah...

Did you have many of this sort of excuse before? If they didn't have the money, why they were interviewing, in some cases with "Immediate start" notes? Or it might be the agent talking rubbish?

Also, has any of you managed to get the contact information of the client during an interview? How can one ask for this info nicely? I am concerned that i am misrepresented

Thanks
    I had that might have the budget in 3 months play. I turned down other work as a result only for it not to materialize. Know now to take whatever is on the table rather than promises. I did however get the clients business card, so when another agent rang up to say they were looking I contacted the client (who gave me his business card 2 years ago) and went direct!
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

ah the budget excuse....

Actually a bit of a confirmation that perhaps a downturn has started. It sounds like a project manager got his project budget cut or refused. Can happen at short notice, if a company throws in a bad quarter, the bean counters go round "killing" contractors.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
        I had that might have the budget in 3 months play. I turned down other work as a result only for it not to materialize. Know now to take whatever is on the table rather than promises. I did however get the clients business card, so when another agent rang up to say they were looking I contacted the client (who gave me his business card 2 years ago) and went direct!
        What about phone interviews? I find it difficult to get the clients contact info over the phone

Comment

If you've already been put forward then its too late, you have to apply for the contract without going through the agent, so getting the details is fine, but only in a few months time, and so the client isn't really interested in giving you them.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by malandri
            What about phone interviews? I find it difficult to get the clients contact info over the phone
            Have you tried asking for it? Few clients react badly to the direct approach, and the worst they could say is "no". Try "could I have a number I could contact you on in case I have any further questions?". You need to get that info as you cannot trust the agent to have your best interests at heart.

At the end of the day, you know the client's name. Look it up in the phonebook.

Comment

I have found if you ring reception and ask confidently for the client by full name you will be put through. Even if a screener (PA) is in place, if you give your name they recognise it and you get through.

Be bold, you never know.

Comment

"budget canceled, delayed, pulled a houdini , whatever"

Generally assume whenever i hear something like this one of 3 things:

a) Client got contractor from another agency and this is the crap they are telling the agency

b)This is the common new lie from agents when you did not get the contract because it was given to another contractor with the agency

c) The clients budget did get pulled or more likely never existed in first place and they were putting together a team "on paper" before submitting for the budget and it got turned down.

From a few discussions with some friendly agents recently (after it happened on a contract i had already "won") found out the latter part of "C" is getting very common and not only is it pissing us contractors off but agents as well, especially as they have done their "work" and in the end getting nothing for it.

But at the end of the day, why stress it and start trying to contact the client direct? Client decided for whatever not to give you the contract, regardless of the reasons result is the same so who cares?

These days i don't consider a contract "got" till the end of the first days work

As to the "they might be able to start in a few months time" ignore it, forget about it and move on. If they come back and you are advaible great, if not then sod them, you are working somewhere else and now not only your time was wasted but theirs as well

Comment

You can always give out your mobile. Then at the start of the interview point out that your signal is crap. If they give you a number you'll call them back straight away.

Works everytime in my experience.

Comment

You have 2 choices really. Either accept it as part and parcel of contracting or don't go to interviews unless it is confirmed the budget is signed off!!

Not knowing your skills I can't really say if the first or second option is best for you...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X