• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Address abroad - can I claim accomodation while in UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Address abroad - can I claim accomodation while in UK

Hi all,

I'm here in the UK with a 1-year lease while doing some contract work in London, however my permanent address is outside the UK (in the EU however). My lease is drawing to a close shortly, and I'll most likely look for a new place to rent here in London.

For all intents and purposes, I've put my rented address in the UK as my permanent address, however I've been thinking... on my next contract, is it possible to list my foreign address as my permanent address, and claim my rented accomodation here in the UK as a business expense?

I'm going via an umbrella, if it makes any difference.

If you mean "can I deduct my UK accommodation costs from my tax bill because I have a house in another country", then the answer is no

tim

Comment

Where are you resident for tax purposes? That's the Tax Authority's rules you have to folllow.

Why don't you ask your umbrella?

I'm not resident in the UK. My company isn't registered in the UK. When I did a 2.5 month contract in the UK, I put ALL my expenses through it and diidn't pay HMRC a penny.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Where are you resident for tax purposes? That's the Tax Authority's rules you have to folllow.

Why don't you ask your umbrella?

I'm not resident in the UK. My company isn't registered in the UK. When I did a 2.5 month contract in the UK, I put ALL my expenses through it and diidn't pay HMRC a penny.
        He said he will be here for one year.

He will be UK resident for that year because of the 91/183 days rules.

Your situation is not applicable as you were only in the UK for 80 days

HTH

tim

Comment

Originally posted by matei View Post

For all intents and purposes, I've put my rented address in the UK as my permanent address, however I've been thinking...
          Should be ok, our home secretary does it that way too.

Comment

Originally posted by matei View Post
            Hi all,

I'm here in the UK with a 1-year lease while doing some contract work in London, however my permanent address is outside the UK (in the EU however). My lease is drawing to a close shortly, and I'll most likely look for a new place to rent here in London.

For all intents and purposes, I've put my rented address in the UK as my permanent address, however I've been thinking... on my next contract, is it possible to list my foreign address as my permanent address, and claim my rented accomodation here in the UK as a business expense?

I'm going via an umbrella, if it makes any difference.
            Only if you are a Labour MP.HTH
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
            X