• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

umbrellas, composites, what's the point?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

umbrellas, composites, what's the point?

Please feel free to put me right here.

I am a contractor in a fairly typical contract situation and I'm trying to work out if there is any benefit at all in continuing to use any kind of umbrella or limited company solution to "maximise" my earnings. Because according to all my calculations, they are an appalling rip off, and I would be better off as a simple PAYE employee of my agency.

For the record, here are my circumstances:
    - I am on an hourly rate of £37.5 with an IT company in London
    - i work 40 hours per week
    - I live in Berkshire and travel to work in London by train and tube (£75 per week). I work 13 hours per day, including travel from home to the office.
    - I work around 46 weeks per year
    - I am single
    - I am 38 years old
    - I don't have a car
    - my total weekly expenses (Schedule E) are generally £85

Being clueless as to the finer details of IR35, I long ago chose an umbrella solution, simply because the 'net pay calculator' promised massive increases to my net pay.

What a joke. My weekly net pay with this umbrella company is slightly under £900.

As a PAYE employee of my agency, however, I would apparently be earning around £1,000.

Am I missing something important here, or are many of us contractors simply throwing money down the tube by signing on to these umbrella and limited company schemes?

yep, with conventional schemes, if you are caught by IR35, and you can't deduct many expenses from your earnings, then you should earn pretty much exactly what a normal PAYE employee earns.

ah the joys of dutifully paying one's tax to GB and sleep soundly knowing that the IR is happy with us

expensive sleep tho'......
    Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Working...
    X