• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Log Cabin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Log Cabin

Have been offered a log cabin for sale by an aquaintance. It's in the North of Scotland, quarter of an acre garden, fishing and boating rights. Sleeps 6, full utilities.
    £70k
    as a holiday let, rakes in £350 - £500 pw
    we might possibly retire there

what do you reckon ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Perfect self-contained depression hideway. Buy it for cash. Then buy a gun and ammo for self defence from the marauding hordes over the next 10 years.

Sorted.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      Have been offered a log cabin for sale by an aquaintance. It's in the North of Scotland, quarter of an acre garden, fishing and boating rights. Sleeps 6, full utilities.
      £70k

what do you reckon ?

A bit chilly but generally nice...... go for it?

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        £70k

what do you reckon ?

Possibly good but DYOR (OK I know that's what you're doing).

1. can you (or a potential later buyer) live in it, or is it holiday only?
        2. Is it stand-alone or part of a holiday camp? QQ both physically and legally.
        3. Would you buy it only for letting? I mean, ATM would you depend on letting it? If on credit, obviously work out cashflow.
        4. Note that if it's a letting business you'd pay business rates, if you let it over 20 weeks/year. AIUI these are based on potential annual income.

If it were me and I had 70k I'd probably take it. Where is it?

Comment

Not this one by any chance?
          http://www.dmhbl.co.uk/index.php?m=p...y_detail&id=84

This is mid-Scotland - Lower highlands and a tourist trap.
          Good location for renting to tourists.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            Possibly good but DYOR (OK I know that's what you're doing).

1. can you (or a potential later buyer) live in it, or is it holiday only?
            2. Is it stand-alone or part of a holiday camp? QQ both physically and legally.
            3. Would you buy it only for letting? I mean, ATM would you depend on letting it? If on credit, obviously work out cashflow.
            4. Note that if it's a letting business you'd pay business rates, if you let it over 20 weeks/year. AIUI these are based on potential annual income.

If it were me and I had 70k I'd probably take it. Where is it?
            thanks expat, the way we are thinking is this. We have the cash spare, getting fck-all squared in interest, we could holiday there and maybe let it out a bit, then if the novelty doesn't wera off, retire there.
            If the novelty does wear off, flog it for a profit. The other cabins are in the process of being flogged off, 400m apart - so it's not exactly a camp.
            2 miles from the nearest road, golden eagles, do you wanna go halves on it ?

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

Just factor in how far you have to go to get to the Post Office/Bank etc, I grew up on a Scottish Island where the bank would come round in a van once a week.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                Just factor in how far you have to go to get to the Post Office/Bank etc, I grew up on a Scottish Island where the bank would come round in a van once a week.
                sounds bleak and remote
                which island ?

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

the bank would come round in a van once a week.
                  They've sold the van now. Credit Crunch, innit?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yeah but you don't need money much because there's nothing to buy but even a vacuum cleaner costs £300 after you include shipping

Comment

Working...
                    X