• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Creating money won't hurt II

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating money won't hurt II

Unless your wealth or earnings are in £.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7932799.stm

The pound has sunk back below $1.40 to a six-week low, as confidence in the UK economy took yet another knock following falls in bank shares.

The pound was down almost three cents at $1.3778. Sterling touched its lowest levels in 24 years in mid-January, nearing $1.35.

UK financial shares fell in Monday trading after the government increased its stake in Lloyds Banking Group.

Against the euro, the pound was down one-and-a-half cents at 1.098 euros.

"What's going on in UK shares at the moment is putting pressure on sterling," said Geraldine Concagh at AIB Group Treasury.

She added that the Bank of England's programme of quantitative easing will put further downward pressure on sterling.

...yes, because the markets completely missed the fact that QE was announced on Thursday. I guess everyone who trades the money markets was asleep on Thursday and Friday, and only noticed today, and that's why the pound has dropped.

I spy someone with an agenda.

The fall in sterling today is almost entirely down to the fact that the banks are screwed. Very little to do with QE.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Are you suggesting the BBC are full of tulip?

Comment

The BBC having an agenda?

I don't know how I could have thought such a thing. I do most humbly apologise. I shall retire to the naughty step as penance....
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Are you suggesting the BBC are full of tulip?
          No. The BBC are full of money.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
            ...The fall in sterling today is almost entirely down to the fact that the banks are screwed. Very little to do with QE.
            Reading the weekend's press and today's FT in particular we are all screwed. The honest pundits are now saying they haven't a clue how this is going to pan out, other than it won't be pretty.

It didn't stop the housing experts spotting green shoots of recovery at the same time as the world economy is falling into a massive hole

Comment

The pound is down, but not as much as when interest rates were higher ans QE hadn't been done. So all in all, the markets are happy with QE
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                The pound is down, but not as much as when interest rates were higher ans QE hadn't been done. So all in all, the markets are happy with QE
                Yeah, we've had an interest rate drop AND QE in the same week and it's not as bad as it was 6 weeks ago.

A "6-week low" is hardly much to write home about.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

QE and the interest rate drop are seen as positive events because they should hopefully help to hasten economic recovery. Thus the pound will not crash.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                    ...yes, because the markets completely missed the fact that QE was announced on Thursday.
                    Er, it can hardly have come as a surprise to anyone on Thursday. Even we were talking about it back in December linky (SFW) so I don't think there would be any reaction now.

We just wait and see how it pans out. I for one am not very hopeful.

Comment

Working...
                    X