• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advise please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advise please

Limted company just set up. Need to pay for a training course. No money in bank account yet. Do I:

1) Have it billed to the company and transfer in money and treat it as a directors loan?
    This can be paid back later with no tax implications cannot it not?

2) Pay it personally and claim it on expenses when enough money is in the bank account?

Both ways should be tax deductible ?

Many thanks

Option 1) for sure. That's what the Director's loan account is for.

Option 2) won't be tax deductable.

( See the discussion on books and the difference between allowable expenses for a business, and allowable expenses for an employee ).
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Personally I'd go with (1) as that eliminates any possibility (no matter how remote) that it might be considered non-claimable via employee expenses

EDIT: NotAllThere's answer better than mine!

Comment

Thanks guys

Why won't option 2 be tax deductible?

Comment

Originally posted by tonibat View Post
          Thanks guys

Why won't option 2 be tax deductible?
          Read the thread you were pointed to.

Comment

oops sorry!

Thanks

Comment

I don't mind repeating the relevant part.

Originally posted by Bob Jones
              An employment expense has to be wholly exclusively and necessarily in the performance of the duties of the employment.

A business expense has to be wholly and exclusively for the purpose of the trade.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tonibat View Post
                  thanks
                  If you do your books yourself make sure you get the accounting entries right, if you use an accountant make sure he knows you have lent the comp[any 2k (or whatever it is) so the s/he can get them right.

Comment

Working...
                  X