PDA

View Full Version : Love letter to TomTom about my new 740 Live

suityou01
13th March 2009, 09:30
Since purchasing the device last Saturday I have had nothing but trouble with it. This includes

Hands free via bluetooth is unreliable. Never successfully answered an incoming call. When answering, it says it has answered but neither the caller nor the operator can hear each other.

When turning the device on, it seldom pairs with the mobile phone. Random success rate. After several reboots it will eventually pair with the phone, although after updating via TOMTOM home last night, it no longer pairs with the phone. After boot it says connected to phone, but when you try and dial out it says it is not connected to a phone.

Made an outgoing call during the week. Home answered, then call dropped and TOMTOM device just made repeated clicking sound. Only a reboot cured the problem.

Device does not always report speed cameras. It is set to announce them via a beep, but seldom does. An icon depicting the speed camera appears on screen, but rarely actually beeps.

TOMTOM device cannot find my place of work. XXXX XXX. I added the location to my favourites when I was at work, and tried to navigate from my Digs (YYYY YYY) to work it said it could not calculate a route.

So in summary I bought the device to

Make and receive hands free calls
Navigate to and from work
Receive audible warnings about speed cameras.

This has been a spectacular waste of time and money thus far, and I look forward to a rapid and effective response.

For info the device serial number is

XXXXXXXXXXXX

:mad

Anticipating a long list of posts telling me how happy people are with theirs :eyes

Foxy Moron
13th March 2009, 09:33
Why do you need to navigate to and from work? If I've been somewhere once I can find my way back.

suityou01
13th March 2009, 09:35
Why do you need to navigate to and from work? If I've been somewhere once I can find my way back.

I work in Cheshire where useful road signs are yet to be implemented.

HTH

Also, drive home on a Friday is 160 miles, and often snarled with traffic so TomTom is supposed to calcualate best route avoiding traffic.

Seriously, Cheshire road signage is woeful. :mad

Mr Crosby
13th March 2009, 09:37
Gave mine to the wife, had similar issues with Bluetooth kept dropping calls then wouldn't switch off.

ThomasSoerensen
13th March 2009, 09:39
Get a Garmin.

suityou01
13th March 2009, 09:40
Get a Garmin.

Not compatible with my phone. Mind you, neithers the flamin TomTom. :D

cojak
13th March 2009, 09:46
Get a Garmin.

That gives traffic info too?

Foxy Moron
13th March 2009, 09:46
I work in Cheshire where useful road signs are yet to be implemented.

HTH

Also, drive home on a Friday is 160 miles, and often snarled with traffic so TomTom is supposed to calcualate best route avoiding traffic.

AA roadmap £2.99 that's what you need. Not some silly twat telling you to turn the wrong way up a one way street.

thelace
13th March 2009, 10:22

Local place for local people....

:)

Ltd ability
13th March 2009, 10:26
There was a blind chick on the bus the other day who had a sat nav so she'd know where to get off, fairly original use for it i thought. Took me a while to suss out what was happening - i thought for ages it was someone trying to learn english using an mp3 player turned up really loud

lilelvis2000
13th March 2009, 12:38
AA roadmap £2.99 that's what you need. Not some silly twat telling you to turn the wrong way up a one way street.

Our Garmin is always getting directions wrong. Last weekend it told us to go through the bus only area risking a ticket. And its no better around here...I question what it thinks as 'fastest' too. They are a gadget..no replacement for a printed map.

oracleslave
13th March 2009, 13:06
Anticipating a long list of posts telling me how happy people are with theirs :eyes

That'll be me then :smile

Foxy Moron
13th March 2009, 13:08
I would love to see how Tommy Tom Tom would get on in somewhere like Nottingham, with all it's one way systems and tram routes. Wonder how much these things have cost the insurance industry

Mr Crosby
13th March 2009, 13:09
I would love to see how Tommy Tom Tom would get on in somewhere like Nottingham, with all it's one way systems and tram routes. Wonder how much these things have cost the insurance industry

Mine was ok there as long as you didnt want to use Bluetooth. Worked bang in the centre for 6 months last year.

FSM with Cheddar
13th March 2009, 13:10
I've got a TomTom 520 and it is brilliant.

I did have a similar problem with bluetooth using my old Samsung phone, however it works perfectly fine with my blackberry.

Foxy Moron
13th March 2009, 13:11
Which one goes best with a pink iPhone? Does my bum look big in this?

Peoplesoft bloke
13th March 2009, 13:20
Mrs PSB's Tom Tom one took her to the Vicky centre no probs last week - she doesn't know Nottm at all.

b0redom
13th March 2009, 13:21
Yeah, mine is aware of 1 way systems. It's part of the reason I got it:smile

suityou01
14th March 2009, 10:52
Got a prompt response from TOMTOM support. Lots of connect it to your pc, download the latest updates (I told them I already did this, <bashes head on monitor>) then reset the unit with a paper clip yada yada yada

Outcome.

Unit still just as tuliped, and its now lost all my subscription information.

Thanks TOMTOM, nice work. :mad

zara_backdog
14th March 2009, 12:26
mine worked getting me in/out of Nottingham, however it was hopeless around Leicester city centre with the roadworks.

Also, fed up of having to rest it nearly everytime I use it ( which is not that much)

Traveling to my last gig there is a sign to the ferry to cross the River Seven which says ' This way to the Ferry - Sat Nav error' and at the next turning ' No access to Ferry - Sat Nav error.

Archangel
16th March 2009, 10:37
On my TomTom (its an old 5xx) you have to set the speed camera thingy (actually a POI warning) to "on or near", so it picks them up if they are slightly off the actual road (or it thinks they are).

This may get rid of one of your problems.

I've had mixed results with the bluetooth, seems ok now with my N95.