• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

covering letter to agencies on JS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

covering letter to agencies on JS

What´s the deal with the covering letter in this day and age?

When I´m sending my CV to agencies from a jobserve ad is there any point with a long-winded letter outlining your strong points? I get the impression that they don´t have time to be reading this bumpf and just go straight to the CV.

I'm sending my CV to these people with basically one or two lines with a "Regards, Anthony" at the end. What's the general opinion here regarding covering letters? I saw in the First Timers section that it was quite important what's everybody else think?

Regards,

Anthony

Personally I think it should be unnecessary for a contract role. The CV should really be selling all your experience and skills (in that order ) so why would you need one?

However, for a perm role, I'd say it's a necessity.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Antman
      What´s the deal with the covering letter in this day and age?

When I´m sending my CV to agencies from a jobserve ad is there any point with a long-winded letter outlining your strong points? I get the impression that they don´t have time to be reading this bumpf and just go straight to the CV.

I'm sending my CV to these people with basically one or two lines with a "Regards, Anthony" at the end. What's the general opinion here regarding covering letters? I saw in the First Timers section that it was quite important what's everybody else think?

Regards,

Anthony
      I think it's unnecessary too, although you specify your availability and rate desired on the e-mail. If these are no good, then they won't even download the attachment CV.

Best is to follow up your application with a phone call, find out more about the job. That way your CV might find its way further up the queue.

Comment

IF there is an actual email address I will send my cv to that instead of applying online. As a matter of curtesy I will include a cover letter...you know...saying how you are the best thing since sliced bread etc. You never know, it could be the one thing that tips the balance in your favour.

If applying online then there is no need for one.

Mailman

Comment

I send to email address if listed and include no more than 2 sentences that directly relate my skill/experience to requirements listed in the advert, using judgement as to what the most important.

I always state...'my CV clearly evidences all the requirements you list' as a hook into opening the attached CV.

Comment

Working...
          X