• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Next week

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next week

Did we get prepped for a attack next week?

I was wondering why the HO referred to a dirty bomb being exploded last week in the media which was something rather silly to do.

Going back to 7/7 I remember the same MO from the Government during or around the Gleneagles and then obv the 7/7 happened.

Have they been following suspects but arent able to track down the attack hence the insurance of mentioning it for next week in case something kicks off?

All just seemed odd

Next will will be interesting. Id imagine the Police will be extremely heavy handed

Originally posted by Liability View Post
    Did we get prepped for a attack next week?

I was wondering why the HO referred to a dirty bomb being exploded last week in the media which was something rather silly to do.

Going back to 7/7 I remember the same MO from the Government during or around the Gleneagles and then obv the 7/7 happened.

Have they been following suspects but arent able to track down the attack hence the insurance of mentioning it for next week in case something kicks off?

All just seemed odd

Next will will be interesting. Id imagine the Police will be extremely heavy handed
    A "terrorist" attack would certainly deflect attention from the economy for a while.

Cynical. ME??
    Last edited by PM-Junkie; 28 March 2009, 17:12.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
      A "terrorist" attack would certain deflect attention from the economy for a while.

Cynical. ME??
      sadly that is the most probably truth tbh.

Gordon is now totally in the dumps and barring David C being revealed as a pink panties wearing hemaphrodite - they are most certainly in next year.

A very interesting week and period of 9 months as Labour will play the most dirty politics to remain and defame to stay in power

Comment

I do not think for one moment Labour nor any other British Political Party would participate in any plot regarding using nuclear weapons on the populace - as for a dirty bomb - the security agencies can detect them now by virtue of the gamma rays which they emit - this abilty was thanks to a spin off project of the European Space Agencys work in the field of cosmic gamma rays.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
          I do not think for one moment Labour nor any other British Political Party would participate in any plot regarding using nuclear weapons on the populace - as for a dirty bomb - the security agencies can detect them now by virtue of the gamma rays which they emit - this abilty was thanks to a spin off project of the European Space Agencys work in the field of cosmic gamma rays.
          Agree with the last - hence why many have been thwarted. In fact if I recall this was a joint collab with the states on placing high altitude sensors which allow them to pin point material in transit and emitting rays.

In terms of the former - have to agree - however as you know - on UK Soil it doesnt have to be Uk directly responsible - look at the Russian poisining for example. Probably the most embarrasing moment for UK Security and Secret Services. HOW the material actually got past customs, was moved around Central London and then used was one that must have had both service flapping like mad chickens in the initial 10 days.

Comment

I was bit worried a few minutes ago when I lost connection to the UK sites I was browsing.

Tracing route to amazon.co.uk [87.238.85.129]
            over a maximum of 30 hops:

6 25 ms 17 ms 21 ms ge-6-15.car2.Geneva1.Level3.net [213.242.73.173]

7 19 ms 19 ms 20 ms ae-11-11.car1.Geneva1.Level3.net [4.69.137.85]
            8 22 ms 34 ms 39 ms ae-5-5.ebr2.Paris1.Level3.net [4.69.137.82]
            9 38 ms 27 ms 32 ms ae-1-100.ebr1.Paris1.Level3.net [4.69.133.81]
            10 37 ms 36 ms 38 ms ae-2.ebr1.London2.Level3.net [4.69.133.94]
            11 75 ms 39 ms 41 ms ae-48-108.ebr2.London2.Level3.net [4.69.141.130]

12 42 ms 36 ms 28 ms ae-2-2.ebr1.London1.Level3.net [4.69.132.146]
            13 40 ms 39 ms 39 ms ae-5-5.car1.Dublin1.Level3.net [4.69.136.89]
            14 * * * Request timed out.
            15 213.242.106.86 reports: Destination net unreachable.

Trace complete.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
              Agree with the last - hence why many have been thwarted.
              Not wishing to put ideas into the evil Snot Goblin's head, but 'detecting' a bomb before it happens would make them look better that having one go off.

Sooooooo........ if a plot is 'thwarted' next week: OI ! you one-eyed, nappy wareing, bogey mucher; that was my idea.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                A "terrorist" attack would certain deflect attention from the economy for a while.

Cynical. ME??
                I think we should help the government out here. Any up for shooting the snot goblin?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I think we should help the government out here. Any up for shooting the snot goblin?
                  for the attention of GCHQ - I have nothing to do with ^^^^ person although the thread was started by me.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                    True about the gamma radiation, but not all dirty bombs emit that.

Strontium 90, among other isotopes, emits beta radiation, comprising electrons (or positrons) with high energy and short range. That's hard to detect from more than a few inches, but dangerous if particles are ingested or inhaled (after which obviously they are in close proximity to internal tissue).

There's an interesting article here, which explains a would-be dirty bomber's basic dilemma - striking a balance between using a short half-life isotope which is highly radioactive and thus dangerous to handle and soon decays, possibly largely before the bomb is ready to use, versus a long half-life isotope which is easier to acquire and safer to work with, and stays radioactive longer, but which isn't very dangerous to the bombees.

For example a dirty bomb comprising depleted uranium would require literally thousands of tons of the stuff for the radiation to be very dangerous!

So all in all it sounds like the kind of dirty bomb a terrorist could reasonably make wouldn't be as dangerous as all that, or even very inconvenient for long in area denial terms. Probably their toxicity would be more dangerous than their radiation, especially with some ghastly stuff like thallium.

Unfortunately the same can't be said for nerve gas or, far worse, bio-weapons...
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X