• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Norway Accountants....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norway Accountants....

Hi there

I'm working in Norway and using a firm to set-up a limited company who I work through.

Does any one know of a good Norwegain accountant (reliable, English speaking, helpful) who I will be able to use instead of the lot I'm using now?

I can't stand umbrella companies, and would prefer to use my own Ltd company etc etc.

Cheers peeps

just like another post about Holland. I think Norway is a country where you have to pay tax at their rates. you wouldn't pay tax based on UK rates for work completed in a country like Norway, it would be at local rates

Comment

I worked in Norway via my UK limited company a year or so ago for less than 180 days a year - no problems.

I did not use a Norwegian account though however my tax manager made sure I stayed in the right.

I've a friend in Norway who I could contact, he might be able to help out...
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MarkOD View Post
        just like another post about Holland. I think Norway is a country where you have to pay tax at their rates. you wouldn't pay tax based on UK rates for work completed in a country like Norway, it would be at local rates
        Yes I'm fully aware of that.
        That's what I'm already doing via an umbrella company based in Norway.

My question was about if anyone knew a decent accountant so that I could set up a my own Norwegian company, and so I don't have to use an umbrella company.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          I worked in Norway via my UK limited company a year or so ago for less than 180 days a year - no problems.

I did not use a Norwegian account though however my tax manager made sure I stayed in the right.

I've a friend in Norway who I could contact, he might be able to help out...
          Hey ScooterScot

Thanks for the offer, it's not urgent, so don't put yourself out!

If your friend knows of a decent chap, then a just firms name would be fine.

Cheers mate

Comment

Hi Nevergopermi

Most Nordic countries have very strict tax rules, and usually demand that you pay taxes on what you earned there. However, the 183 day rule may help avoid that.

Should you work in Norway for less than 183 day, you should not have to pay any tax.

However, some type of income is taxable even though you are not a resident. Share income is one of these. This means that by setting up a Norwegian company, you will be liable to pay taxes on your income from the shares.

Also note that should you become an employee your company will need to withhold taxes on your salary. I think the basic rate is 28% and the high tax band rate is near 50%.

Further, any person working in Norway must also pay a national insurance contribution of 7.8 percent. This must be paid together with the tax.

However, if you stay in Norway for less than 12 months you may submit Form E101. This will mean that you do not need to pay a national insurance contribution to Norway, it will be paid in the UK at the UK NI rate. But when comparing the SS rates of the UK and Norway you can easily distinct that the Norwegian rate is actually lower.

It is also my understanding that the set up of a Norwegian company can be a lengthy and expensive process and unless you intend to stay there for a few years does not make economic sense.

I am not aware of your personal circumstances nor the actual time you intend to stay in Norway but I would weight the benefits of creating, maintaining and operating a company with that of an umbrella company solution.

Usually, I would agree with you. Why would I pay someone a percentage of my earnings for a job I can do myself. However, in this case the process might not be as easy as in the UK.

In any case, should you require an umbrella company please make sure that they hold a valid licence to operate in Norway. This is a legal requirement.

A client of mine recently contracted there. I remember having spoken to either Albany or Tressag. One of these does hold a licence (the other one does not).

Hope this helps.

Good luck

Mardi

Comment

Originally posted by contractreviews View Post

It is also my understanding that the set up of a Norwegian company can be a lengthy and expensive process and unless you intend to stay there for a few years does not make economic sense.
              Usually, I would agree with you. Why would I pay someone a percentage of my earnings for a job I can do myself. However, in this case the process might not be as easy as in the UK.
              In any case, should you require an umbrella company please make sure that they hold a valid licence to operate in Norway. This is a legal requirement.
              Thank you, that's some useful and helpful advice.

If it's a pain in the arse to set up a Norwegian company then I'll have to stick to what I'm doing.

The firm I'm using to set up the umbrella company is ligit and all, and my contract is for a year, with another year a possiblity depending on the project.

Once again, thanks

Comment

Working...
              X