• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Catastrophic PC failure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catastrophic PC failure

This is my home PC. I've a very recent backup which was taken with Norton Ghost, sitting nicely on an external USB harddrive.

If I buy a ing new PC, what issues would I face if I tried to simply restore to that? The old PC was running XP Pro with all the patches applied.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Not really a Windows man, but I think you may run into probles with driver support. Once you restore your OS onto the new machine, if it's radically different hardware, it may not be bootable.

May be worth checking out Acronis Universal Restore. Gets round this problem by stripping out all the drivers when you restore the image.
    If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

If you just want to grab some files from the Ghost image then you should be able to use Ghost Explorer (part of the Ghost quite I think). Failing that you might be able to mount the file as drive via some other utility.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I've never attempted it, but in theory I think you could restore from the Ghost image, then boot into Safe Mode and get all the necessary drivers into place.

If it doesn't work, well, at least you tried

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I've never attempted it, but in theory I think you could restore from the Ghost image, then boot into Safe Mode and get all the necessary drivers into place.

If it doesn't work, well, at least you tried
          I reckon this would work - you could go into device manager in safe mode and delete/disable all the devices that didn't apply to the new machine. A reboot in "normal" mode should then bring the machine up in a usable state.

The downfall would be all the Windows cruft transferred from your existing computer to the new one. In all honesty you might want to start from scratch with the new machine and restore your data only. A fresh install of XP is a breath of fresh air when you're accustomed to being bogged down by one with a couple of years of cruft on it.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
            I reckon this would work - you could go into device manager in safe mode and delete/disable all the devices that didn't apply to the new machine. A reboot in "normal" mode should then bring the machine up in a usable state.

The downfall would be all the Windows cruft transferred from your existing computer to the new one. In all honesty you might want to start from scratch with the new machine and restore your data only. A fresh install of XP is a breath of fresh air when you're accustomed to being bogged down by one with a couple of years of cruft on it.
            If the new hardware wa completly different, then I don't think the machine would boot, eveni n safe mode.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
              If the new hardware wa completly different, then I don't think the machine would boot, eveni n safe mode.
              I stand corrected - I always imagined booting in safe mode would be similar to booting with no hardware drivers installed. A bit like the way Windows is on first boot following installation - 800x600 VGA, no network etc.

Comment

I think if the hardware is somewhat similar, you can get away with it. I'm not really a windows bod, but I've tried to recover a failed desktop before in this way and it didn't work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
                  I stand corrected - I always imagined booting in safe mode would be similar to booting with no hardware drivers installed. A bit like the way Windows is on first boot following installation - 800x600 VGA, no network etc.
                  To be precise, it boots with a minimal set of drivers, and is intended for the purpose of adding or removing drivers. AFAIK, it uses the Windows default drivers, so even if the hardware is radically different, it should still boot as it's not relying on any of the hardware-specific drivers from the old machine.

Back in the days of Win95, I've swapped out a motherboard for a new one which didn't even have the same family of processor (from Intel Pentium to an AMD K-something) and was able to boot from the existing Windows installation into Safe Mode and get everything as stable as one could expect with Win95. I would assume the same is possible with XP.

Comment

I did once do a direct swap of a laptop harddrive into a different model of the same make (not radically different - they were probably same year of manufacture), and that worked a treat - didn't even need safe mode!

What would happen, in future, if I just ran everything under VM? Could I then just build another PC, make a new VM of the same config, and restore...

Anyway, I'll see what happens when I do a restore. It's not a very important PC, but it'd be nice to have it running - especially on a new machine - the motherboard and chip are 4 years old; other components are approaching 8...

Thanks a lot!
                    Last edited by NotAllThere; 2 April 2009, 14:26.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X