• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

can I get an offset mortgage?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can I get an offset mortgage?

is offset mortgage the best idea for us contractors? where do we best get this? thanks

First direct probably have about the best offset offering at the momnet. Though you'll need a 25% deposit and they are not very quick. Whether it's best for your circumstances would depend on what you want and what they are, but for my circumstances buying a new property they were best. But my god they are so slow.....

Comment

I have an offset, it suits me perfectly well, no interest on my savings/warchest, but also no tax paid on the savings from mortgage interest benefit due to the offset capital.

Mines from the Clydesdale Bank group.

Comment

These are offset on personal accounts (on the mortgage) I presume?

Any extra accounting hints for contractors?

Comment

I'm with Woolwich (Barclays), and got it via Contractor Money.

Some banks are reigning in, e.g. a couple, including Woolwich said no way to me when I asked directly, but Contractor Money got me in with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Flopsy View Post
            These are offset on personal accounts (on the mortgage) I presume?

Any extra accounting hints for contractors?
            you could use a directors loan account to lend money to yourself and offset.

Personally I like to keep me and my company financially at arms length.

Speak to your accountant.

Comment

Check out Yorkshire and Clydesdale Banks.

They do a very good rapid repay flexi mortgage which is effectively an offset. No messing about with different 'pots' either!

Took one out about 5 years ago when I got pissed off paying £450 a month on a 60k mortgage to the B&B.

Chucked all our saving and extra cash into it and now, have no repayments to make and have a draw down allowance on tap up to 100k without any further need to ask bank manager \ building society manager etc.

Best thing I ever did!
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                Check out Yorkshire and Clydesdale Banks.

They do a very good rapid repay flexi mortgage which is effectively an offset. No messing about with different 'pots' either!

Took one out about 5 years ago when I got pissed off paying £450 a month on a 60k mortgage to the B&B.

Chucked all our saving and extra cash into it and now, have no repayments to make and have a draw down allowance on tap up to 100k without any further need to ask bank manager \ building society manager etc.

Best thing I ever did!
                I looked at both those. On an ltv of upto 80% then they are 3.79. Reasonably attractive if you do need 80%. Though I plumped for First Direct who will charge 2.89 on a 75% LTV. Difference is 1350 a year on 150k.

However, if I was still actively contracting then I might look at the so called busisess offset. It appears that this **might** enable one to remove some of the potential BIK issues arising from offsetting business funds agains a personal mortgage.

Having just been through the mortgage hoops in this environment anything you can actually get seems to be the answer!

Underwriters are very picky indeed. Despite only needing 2 x income and an LTV of < 75% I ended up with only 3 lenders willing to lend at reasonable rates - mainly because I have a mortgage of < 1k on a 650k house that I'm not selling (and for a number of reasons don't want to redeem).

Comment

Working...
                X