• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming benefits inbetween contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming benefits inbetween contracts

Say you fear contract will come to an end this year and you had a healthy amount in your business bank account. What should you do so that you can live on benefits for a little while until you get a new contract? e.g. get your rent paid for, avoid paying council tax? thanks

Obviously a windup as no contractor I know could be arsed to sign on for £75 every other week if they had £ks in the bank.

Good effort but next time try harder

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post

Obviously a windup as no contractor I know could be arsed to sign on for £75 every other week if they had £ks in the bank.

Good effort but next time try harder
      council tax is at least £100+ per month
      rent is many hundreds
      then some bills

I'm not just talking about job seekers allowance man

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
        Say you fear contract will come to an end this year and you had a healthy amount in your business bank account. What should you do so that you can live on benefits for a little while until you get a new contract? e.g. get your rent paid for, avoid paying council tax? thanks
        You have a "healthy" amount in your business account presumably because like most of us here you've been paying yourself a minimal salary (therefore minimal tax and NI) and take dividends, yet want the state to pay your bills if you're out of work despite you having a healthy warchest nicely tucked away?

Personally as you've money stashed, I think you should grow a pair and stand on your own two feet for that "little while until you get a new contract" and not expect the taxpayer fund it while you sit on a pile of cash. just my 2p's worth

Comment

They will ask to see your business profit and loss account, so you're gonna have to have a good reason why you need to claim benefits with £90k in a business account which isn't trading.
          The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
            They will ask to see your business profit and loss account, so you're gonna have to have a good reason why you need to claim benefits with £90k in a business account which isn't trading.
            ok
            so what if I took all the dividends I possibly can, take everything out of personal savings accounts and use it all to buy a cheap house somewhere?
            then no money in business acc,no savings... does this mean £benefits?

Comment

ok
              so what if I took all the dividends I possibly can, take everything out of personal savings accounts and use it all to buy a cheap house somewhere?
              then no money in business acc,no savings... does this mean £benefits?
              do that then?

let's talk figures.....how many thousands does Your Co have?

If you don't have a warchest to get you through the tough times, you shouldn't be contracting.

more specifically, ANY warchest will let you survive for X many months/years. but there does come a breaking point, and living on benefits is not going to extend that very long.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                do that then?

let's talk figures.....how many thousands does Your Co have?
                I don't see what relevance this has to the general point being discussed
                the honest answer is I don't know, but for arguments sake say £50k in company and £50k in personal savings which could be used to buy £100k house. Is is best to have all the money thrown into a house before contract ends as the benefits agencies don't seem to count home ownership as a criteria for benefits, peculiarly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
                  You have a "healthy" amount in your business account presumably because like most of us here you've been paying yourself a minimal salary (therefore minimal tax and NI) and take dividends, yet want the state to pay your bills if you're out of work despite you having a healthy warchest nicely tucked away?
                  the state monster is funded by our taxes, I'm just trying to get some of it back, yes even if £75/week I'd rather govt gave this than come out of war chest

Comment

the state monster is funded by our taxes, I'm just trying to get some of it back, yes even if £75/week I'd rather govt gave this than come out of war chest
                    £75 week @ 10 weeks would make a nice holiday week end which you may need to give you a break after looking at jobserve all day.

You pay unemployment insurance so claim it. Just because you are rich does not mean that you should not claim.

Do you not claim from your house or car insurance because you are rich.

Comment

Working...
                    X