• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barton on Shearer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barton on Shearer

Great quote in the Independent today.

Barton described Shearer as a "sh_t" manager with "sh_t" tactics.

Discuss.

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Discuss.

He might be right that Shearer is a tulip manager, however even Johny the Foreigner like myself knows that Shearer was a top player where as Barton as a player (which is his current job) is total tulip: not a lot of brains too.

Comment

As much as I think Barton is a nasty little tulip... he's probably right.

I don't know why people think a player’s ability on the pitch should translate to management? Not many of the very best players have succeeded at the highest level yet plenty of mediocre players have done well at the top.

Shearer was brought in for a moral boost, nothing more.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        plenty of mediocre players have done well at the top.
        I'd love to see Barton as a manager...

Comment

I don't think Shearer ever pretended to be a good manager. He hasn't done the job before and is only there short-term to try and boost players' morale to drag themselves across the line at season end. If they fails, HE hasn't failed... it was a lost cause and he stepped in only to please fans.

Sure he'll be back to manage properly at some point, but that BBC work has to be more fun especially with the World Cup coming up...
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            I'd love to see Barton as a manager...
            Maybe, but he isn't one is he.

He's probably right about Shearer.

As for Barton's rant, I'd also have a problem with a manager who deflects blame from himself onto me for another defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              Maybe, but he isn't one is he.
              He is not a good player, so he should STFU IMO.

If Barton was scoring goals all the time and Shearer took him off for someone else then Barton would have had a point - considering his criminal conviction one would think he'd have enough brains to keep low profile, but clearly that's something he can't do.

And I don't think he'll make a good movie character like that ex-football guy from Lock,Stock and Two Barrels the movie...

Comment

Barton is a good player. Don't you watch football? Even Shearer said that after his sending off.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Barton is a good player. Don't you watch football?
                  No, I don't watch football but I sometimes listen to Radio 5 live (who are excellent) and also read up multiple sources - taking everything into account I'd say Barton's normal place of work should be in jail where he truly belongs, rather than playing football (or doing anything else).

Shearer was a very good player (even I know it), Barton is nowhere close and never will be. Also Barton would not make a good manager either.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    No, I don't watch football but I sometimes listen to Radio 5 live (who are excellent) and also read up multiple sources - taking everything into account I'd say Barton's normal place of work should be in jail where he truly belongs, rather than playing football (or doing anything else).

Shearer was a very good player (even I know it), Barton is nowhere close and never will be. Also Barton would not make a good manager either.
                    Shearer's playing ability is irrelevant. He's a manager, and has yet to demonstrate much ability at it.

Barton's managerial ability is irrelevant. He's a player, and has demonstrated a lot of ability at it.

Barton might not be as good a player as Shearer was, but few are.

Barton has served his time in jail, so by way of logic, he no longer truly belongs in jail.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X