• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sabbatical

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sabbatical

If you were going to be taking a sabbatical in which you weren't earning but would just be taking what is, essentially, an extended holiday - do you have to tell HMRC?

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    If you were going to be taking a sabbatical in which you weren't earning but would just be taking what is, essentially, an extended holiday - do you have to tell HMRC?
    As long as you submit your PAYE & VAT quarterly and do your annual returns and self assessment, what are you going to tell the HMRC?

I am hoping that you are aware that you can give your Accountant the authority to do your company returns whilst you are on holiday?
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      As long as you submit your PAYE & VAT quarterly and do your annual returns and self assessment, what are you going to tell the HMRC?

I am hoping that you are aware that you can give your Accountant the authority to do your company returns whilst you are on holiday?
      Yep. But I've been working full-on since 2004 without a break in employment of more than a week and I'm keen to not trigger an HMRC inspection visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
        and I'm keen to not trigger an HMRC inspection visit.
        Why, what have you been up to?
        The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

I had to when I took one a few years back.
          "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
          "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
            Probably IR35 caught.... and wants to hide it.

To be honest, the HMRC are not going to care if you take a year out of work. However, you will need to make yourself available in the event of a visit from the HMRC, unless it can be deferred under certain circumstances.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
              Nothing, just want to take some time away to get my head out of my arse and not have to worry about HMRC!

Comment

Working...
              X