• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Beeping...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beeping...

Since we moved into a new place a few weeks back, we've had the phone ring between 3-10 times a day, at intervals between 5 minutes and several hours. When we answer, all we get is a "beep.... beep.... beep" for about 10s after which the other end hangs up. It's a private number and we have no idea what or who it might be - I theorise some sort of line-test, my wife reckons someone might be trying to send us a fax.

Can anyone suggest what it is and/or how we can get it stopped?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

It might sound radical but have you tried ringing BT and asked them to monitor your line for incoming calls so you can get an explanation? I’m pretty sure they can stop unwanted calls.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Have your phone operator bar all phone calls where the caller ID is withheld.

Anonymous Caller Rejection

Basically, if anyone phones with their number withheld, they get a message asking them to redial without withholding their number.

In this way, if you receive spam calls or nuisance calls, you can make a complaint about them.

Comment

Try dialling 1471 to get the number and then complain to BT. If you cannot get the number, complain to BT and they should be able to trace the number. Then sue the originator for nuisance calls.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Have your phone operator bar all phone calls where the caller ID is withheld.
          Thus blocking calls from your local GP, hospital, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Since we moved into a new place a few weeks back, we've had the phone ring between 3-10 times a day, at intervals between 5 minutes and several hours. When we answer, all we get is a "beep.... beep.... beep" for about 10s after which the other end hangs up. It's a private number and we have no idea what or who it might be - I theorise some sort of line-test, my wife reckons someone might be trying to send us a fax.

Try hooking up a FAX to receive the incoming FAX. If that works, you'll at least know who the sender(s) is/are.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              Thus blocking calls from your local GP, hospital, etc.
              Nope. My GP and hospital does not withhold their numbers.

Only sleazy ****ers withhold their numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Nope. My GP and hospital does not withhold their numbers.

Only sleazy ****ers withhold their numbers.
                Make sure you use your mobile number on your CV then.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Land lines are a big waste of time, and they are only used by spammers. Got rid of mine years ago.

Bring on naked DSL (for those without cable) and sort out VOIP.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Get registered with the Telephone Preference Service. It may be automated cold calling. They auto-dial a number of lines per operator; the first victim to pick u gets the cold call; the others get (normally) silence. It might be that.

And register with the Mailing preference Service while you are at it.
                    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
                    X