• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speaker's Gone!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaker's Gone!

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.as...entid=16949801

Michael Martin is to announce his intention to stand down as House of Commons Speaker as the controversy over MPs' expenses claimed its biggest victim.
    Whitehall sources confirmed Mr Martin would make a statement to the House at 2.30pm setting out his intentions.
    'elf and safety guru

That's a good start.

Regardless of his role with the fees office, I don't think he was a very good speaker anyway.

How on earth did he get the job?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      By being an expendable member of the Labour party?
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Blair and Brown had to bribe some influential trades-union types. He was one -Prescott was another. Makes you yearn for the old days of moneyed Tories for whom it wasn't worthwhile to screw public finances.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Blair and Brown had to bribe some influential trades-union types. He was one -Prescott was another. Makes you yearn for the old days of moneyed Tories for whom it wasn't worthwhile to screw public finances.
          This isn't the right thread, but I can't help thinking that you have a point.

Comment

That's a good start.

Regardless of his role with the fees office, I don't think he was a very good speaker anyway.

Class hatred and a ballot that wasn't secret.

Had they followed the convention of alternating between parties it would have been an old etonian in the chair, so the labour whips ensured the "opposite extreme" was voted in - ie an ex-metal woprker and trades union oficial. And of course being Scottish he fits right in with everyone else.

The hoot of it now is that you have labour politicians being wheeled in fronto of the camera to say how they have to get away from the old traditions to ensure this never happens again, when if fact if they had stuck to the old traditions (bearing in mind nothing like this has happened in 300 years), it possibly wouldn't have happened in the first place.

But then this is yet another thing that labour have screwed up. And yes it is labour, because they used their huge majority to force through the vote for this muppet.

As for who's next....I'd like to see Anne Widdicombe. It won't be because she is retiring - but it would be great watching MP's being treated like children by someone even more patronising than they are!
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

1 down, 649 to go......

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                1 down, 649 to go......
                643...apparently there about 6 who are not crooks. I guess one of them will have to be the new speaker
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

my Granny gave me sound advice, 'always get decent speakers'.

I guess his missus will have to pay for her own taxis from now on, instead of asking us to pay

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                    Class hatred and a ballot that wasn't secret.

Had they followed the convention of alternating between parties it would have been an old etonian in the chair, so the labour whips ensured the "opposite extreme" was voted in - ie an ex-metal woprker and trades union oficial. And of course being Scottish he fits right in with everyone else.
                    It's not a problem that he's working class, or that he's Scottish. It's a problem that he's stupid, useless, and corrupt.

Comment

Working...
                    X