• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MPs expenses - we're being manipulated into hysteria.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MPs expenses - we're being manipulated into hysteria.

While it is clear some of them have been taking the piss, if we all calm down and look at WHY the system is as it is.

Basically no PM (including Maggie) has been brave enough to listen to the recommendations of an independent body on MPs pay. MPs are told that it is an allowance to which they are entitled, not expenses.
    So much so that if an MP divorces, that allowance is added onto their base salary for the purpose of working out child support etc. So they've been treating their allowances as entitlements because that is what they are told - its a substitute for salary, to be done with as they wish.

Who is behind the Telegraph? The Barclay brothers, nuff said.
    Real question is what are they trying to do?

Not trying to defend MPs here, but I'm far more concerned of manipulation by non-elected powerful interests.
    Last edited by sasguru; 22 May 2009, 14:33.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

I think you raise a fair point. Who the hell is going to work away monday to friday and pay for their own "on the road" expenses for a paltry 65k.

Hardly going to attract the best and brightest is it. Just look at Accenture.
    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
      I think you raise a fair point. Who the hell is going to work away monday to friday and pay for their own "on the road" expenses for a paltry 65k.
      Anyone caught by IR35?

But I agree with Sasguru here. Without any allowances at all, becoming an MP would be the preserve of the rich.

P.S. What's the history of the Barclay brothers?
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I bet the coppers involved in the g20 incidents are glad.
        "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          Without any allowances at all, becoming an MP would be the preserve of the rich.
          As opposed to the current system of being the preserve of the professional gob-sh1te with little to no idea of how to run a pi55 up in a brewery?

Seriously, I'd much prefer people running the country who have a clue of running something, even experience of running their own newspaper delivery round would be a vast improvement on this shower.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

If it means we get an elected upper chamber, less MPs with more power to hold the government to account, a bill of rights, something like the US primaries (emphasis on the work "like") to stop parties parachuting in candidates who know zip about the constituency, and maybe PR so that each vote actually counts - I couldn't care less how it has come about.

My suspicion/hope is that when the dust has settled in a few year's time, this will be looked back on as a revolution.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
              My suspicion/hope is that when the dust has settled in a few year's time, this will be looked back on as a revolution.
              All this tosh about the government bringing in all these long overdue reforms like an elected upper house, PR, etc. is just that: tosh.

My suspicion is that a whole new swathe of draconian 'privacy' laws will be brought in, i.e. everything to do with TPTB will be private on pain of you having your National ID card revoked if it but suspected you are in someway not towing the party line.

Remember you read it here first.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I disagree...people are too hacked off and there is too much of a head of steam. As stupid as politicians are, they know there will be BIG riots if they don't sort this out.

I've never seen people so angry. And its about bloody time too.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I don't see it as hysteria, but an excuse to finally get the corrupt buggers who've been unashamedly screwing the country for decades.
                  Expenses are only the tip of the iceberg in their personal nest feathering exercises and all MPs of all colours are at it. They've also settled into a very cosy complacency where they felt themselves totally untouchable (attempting to exempt themselves from FOI legislation, smoking ban doesn't apply in parts of the Palace of Westminster, bars open 24/7 waaaay before the public had that) once elected for 5 years.

I'm thoroughly glad that all parties have been slammed by this scandal as it's finally forced them to accept that they are almost universally despised. One can only hope that reforms of our archaic and corrupt system come about as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    As opposed to the current system of being the preserve of the professional gob-tulipe with little to no idea of how to run a pi55 up in a brewery?

Seriously, I'd much prefer people running the country who have a clue of running something, even experience of running their own newspaper delivery round would be a vast improvement on this shower.
                    Advantage Threaded.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X