• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

unbelievable !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unbelievable !

So for someone (me) that has been working 20 years plus, paying all taxes etc, I now turn to HM government for some help as I have been unemployed for 6 months. What do they have to offer ? I have savings over £16,000.
    Well for the first 6 months as a single person with no dependants and am able to work, having no disabilities, I get the job seekers allowance JSA of £64.30 per week provided under the contribution based JSA. This I can claim and get.

I am also able to claim council tax and mortgage payments on income based JSA via housing benefit. Although I can claim it, I will not get it as I have savings over £16,000.

Then after 6 months the contribution based JSA stops and I then have to claim JSA on an income basis. I can claim but will not get it as I have savings over £16,000. So all I get is 26x64 = £1,664 over the first 6 months then nothing until my savings drop below £16,000. Thanks HM goverment.

Have I been misinformed here or is this how this works?

I don't see why anyone with savings should get any state help.

Live on your savings, then when they are gone, ask the state to help you.

Comment

should have hidden the savings first mate.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

WHS.

If you're a contractor savings = warchest.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Buy gold with your savings and stick it under the floor boards.

Tell HMG that you lost it at the track and claim all that lovely wonga.

honestly.
          The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Why not hide your savings - clear all/any credit cards & loans, overpay all your bills etc to bring you under their threshold
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

If you haven't paid class 1 NICs then you are entitled to £0.

You are certainly entitled to state assistance, but the amount is precisely zero.

Self-employed people who have grafted away over the years, and paid huge amounts of tax and NI (class 2 and 4), and have, perhaps, fallen on hard times, will often be surprised at this. But it is a fact, I assure you.

If you have ever been in business on your own account, and need the help of the state safety net, you will only get a boot in the teeth.

That's New Labour. Things can only get better

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

they can work it out from the interest i declared on last tax return

Comment

i have been either working paye through my own ltd co or in recent years working paye through an agent. The above applies to most of us.

Comment

I get £50/week because I have (or had) over £6000 in savings, but I will shortly lose that when I sell my flat, and lose the rest of my cash when hyperinflation sets in. Doomed.

Comment

Working...
                    X