• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Three cheers for the Aussies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three cheers for the Aussies

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8080446.stm

Yep, they can be a rowdy lot, not always the most erudite chappies and sometimes they seem to despise us pommies (perhaps for saying things like that), but they´re not in recession. OK, 0.4% growth isn´t much, but it´s a hell of a lot better than the rest of the world. Maybe it´s their attitude that does it; no whingeing, just get on with doing what you want in life and when everything seems really tulip, have a barbecue and a couple of tinnies and get back to work in the morning. Work hard, play hard, you only live once.

I think we could all learn something from them.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Unemployment falls in Spain, for the first time in 14 months! Perhaps we really are making a Recovery!

unemployment fall in Spain
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
      Unemployment falls in Spain, for the first time in 14 months! Perhaps we really are making a Recovery!

unemployment fall in Spain
      Possible, but Espanas' up tulip creek, consumer wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
        Possible, but Espanas' up tulip creek, consumer wise.
        Nice weather, more and more fabulous wines and there are now some very affordable houses for sale.

Portugal's better though.

Comment

Australia weren't running a deficit during the good times. Unlike us.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            Australia weren't running a deficit during the good times. Unlike us.
            That's right. Not exactly rocket science is it?

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
              No, just ripples on a downward trend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8080446.stm

Yep, they can be a rowdy lot, not always the most erudite chappies and sometimes they seem to despise us pommies (perhaps for saying things like that), but they´re not in recession. OK, 0.4% growth isn´t much, but it´s a hell of a lot better than the rest of the world. Maybe it´s their attitude that does it; no whingeing, just get on with doing what you want in life and when everything seems really tulip, have a barbecue and a couple of tinnies and get back to work in the morning. Work hard, play hard, you only live once.

I think we could all learn something from them.
                Canada likewise, apparently, no banking crisis there.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Canada likewise, apparently, no banking crisis there.
                  Canada is really a bloody brilliant place, especially if you speak French. Quebec's one of the world's lesser known gems, Montreal is fantastic and over to the west Vancouver's a great place. Beach in summer, skiing in winter, low crime, good economy, they've really got everything going for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Canada is really a bloody brilliant place, especially if you speak French. Quebec's one of the world's lesser known gems, Montreal is fantastic and over to the west Vancouver's a great place. Beach in summer, skiing in winter, low crime, good economy, they've really got everything going for them.
                    I know. When I was working in NY I'd go up to PQ for weekends. I'm still thinking of living in Canada, happily it's about the only place left that might take me at my age. I notice though that IT has been removed from the list of occupation categories that allow immigration without a prior job offer (with my English and French I'd qualify without a prior job offer, except for Québec immigration ironically, where my age counts against me).

I'd be gone already but for my partner and her daughter and her old parents. But I digress .....
                    Last edited by expat; 3 June 2009, 10:04.

Comment

Working...
                    X