• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Missing £ between gross and net pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing £ between gross and net pay

Hello
    Did some simple calculations today, and seems to be a discrepancy between my gross and net pay. I am with a major accounting companies umbrella services, so you'd think it's all kosher, but....

Be interested to know if you have any advice. I am chasing the umbrella payroll admin of course. Day rate £475:
    a) Income/Expenses
    Gross Salary £12,350.00
    Expenses £2344.20
    TOTAL £14694.20 (income)

b) Deductions
    Holiday £1330.10 (they take this off automatically, which annoys me)
    PAYE Tax £2217.38
    NI Employee £147.86
    Other £165 (360 payroll services)
    Employers' NI £954.41
    TOTAL £4814.75 (deductions)

a-b= £9879.45 (EXPECTED NET)
    Whereas Payroll NET PAY = £7535.25
    Difference = £2344.22

No other obvious tax/NI deductions on the payslip, so wondering of course where my £2.3k has vanished?

Cheers.
    Amski

Originally posted by amski View Post
    Hello
    Did some simple calculations today, and seems to be a discrepancy between my gross and net pay. I am with a major accounting companies umbrella services, so you'd think it's all kosher, but....

Be interested to know if you have any advice. I am chasing the umbrella payroll admin of course. Day rate £475:
    a) Income/Expenses
    Gross Salary £12,350.00
    Expenses £2344.20
    TOTAL £14694.20 (income)

b) Deductions
    PAYE Tax £2217.38
    NI Employee £147.86
    Employers' NI £954.41

Difference = £2344.22

No other obvious tax/NI deductions on the payslip, so wondering of course where my £2.3k has vanished?

Cheers.
    Amski
    £2,344.22 seems to be your expenses figure, have you given them all the receipts () they require to process your expenses claim ?

Robot

Comment

Hello

a) Income/Expenses
      Gross Salary £12,350.00
      Expenses £2344.20
      TOTAL £14694.20 (income)

b) Deductions
      PAYE Tax £2217.38
      NI Employee £147.86
      Employers' NI £954.41

Difference = £2344.22

Cheers.
      Amski
      Expenses = £2.3k = vanished amount coincidence?

Are those expenses supposed to be rechargable (as stated in your contract) or are you mistaking expenses for an additional income stream?

Comment

From the information you have provided it seems that you were expecting your expenses to be fully reimbursed i.e. be chargeable to your agency/client. If your agency/client has not agreed to reimburse your expenses they will be processed as a tax benefit by the umbrella company which effectively means that your gross taxable income will be reduced by the value of the expenses.

HTH
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

...they take this off automatically, which annoys me...
          So go ltd.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I think Lisa has got this one spot on, it would be a huge coincidence if this wasn't the issue. make sure if it is recharageable that the Umbrella know it is otherwise they'll just offset it which will be less beneficial than having it reimbursed

Comment

Lisa's explaination also stacks up with the PAYE tax deduction which otherwise looks low.
              Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
              "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

It still amazes me that some people don't know the difference between chargeable expenses and non taxable expenses, I know someone who took a contract further away from home just so he could claim more.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Idiots allowed too

Well excuse me for breathing!
                  The whole point of these forums is that 'idiots' like me can ask stupid questions :-)

Comment

Don't take it personally. There are no stupid questions.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X