• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Subsistence Expense Help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subsistence Expense Help

I am currently working as a contractor through an umbrella company.
    I work monday to friday away from home.
    I travel to work monday morning, which takes about 2 hours, monday night to thursday I am in a B and B and Friday I finish work and travel back home.

My umbrella company gives me 3 things as expenses,

1. Mileage - Which they calculate at the government rate.
    2. Accomodation - For which I provide a receipt
    3. Subsistence - Worked out on nights away and travel.

I am thinking that there could be an issue with No.3 as I dont need to provide receipts to the umbrella to be able to claim the expense. ( I do however keep receipts for my own records)

I e-mailed the umbrella about this, and am no further forward.... here is a copy and paste of that e-mail to try and clarify. I would be grateful if anyone could clarify whether my concerns in the e-mail are correct and also whether or not what the umbrella company are saying is true.

Sent: 17 June 2009 13:54
    To: **********
    Subject: Subsistence Allowance.

Hi ****
    I have a query regarding the subsistence allowance paid to me.
    I assume that this allowance forms part of a tax free part of my pay. Is the allowance that is outlined on your guide to expenses sheet a maximum limit rather than an amount I can automatically claim?

For example:

On Monday I work more than 8 hours and also travel over 2 hours to work.
    Tuesday to Thursday I am away from home for the whole 24 hours, working over 8 hours.
    On Friday I work less than 8 hours but then take over 2 hours to travel home.

From the guide to expenses sheet I calcluate the following:

Monday £15
    Tuesday £22.50
    Wednesday £22.50
    Thursday £22.50
    Friday £15

Total £97.50

I realise I do not have to submit receipts to yourself to claim this amount. However I am worried that the amounts shown are upper limits rather than what I can actually claim. So if for example I spend £50 between Monday and Friday on food am I right in assuming that I can only claim that amount as expenses rather than the full £97.50.
    If this is the case, how do I submit the actual amount spent as expenses rather than claiming the full limit each day. As I dont wish to be investigated by HMRC in the future and be landed with an unexpected bill.

If what I have asked does turn out to be true, how does this tie in with my accomodation, I am in a B & B, and as such I have my breakfast there 4 days a week. Would this affect the amount I can claim for subsistence?

Thanks

To: *****************
    Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 14:20:27 +0100
    Subject: RE: Subsistence Allowance.

Hi *********,

The rates of subsistence we allow for you to claim are based on the dispensation figures which have been discussed and agreed with the Inland Revenue.

You may or may not spend over and above the figure specified however as an employee of ******** you are entitled to claim the full amount.

With you staying away from home for certain days per week it is generally acceptable for you to be spending more money – so the figure increases to £22.50.

Kind regards,

Sent: 17 June 2009 15:57
    To: ************
    Subject: RE: Subsistence Allowance.

Hi *******

Thanks for your response.
    So in the event of investigation by HMRC if I have been claiming for £22.50 for subsistence, and can only produce say ten pound worth of receipts, what would happen?
    Or are you saying that at that amount they would not investigate as they themselves have set that as a limit for employees of **********?

Cheers

Hi *****

As part of the dispensation agreement with the Revenue the allowable subsistence is non-receipted, so if you were to have an audit like we did last year the Revenue would not ask, or even be able to ask for receipted proof for the subsistence as covered under the dispensation.

If you were to be picked by the Revenue they would ask for receipts for your Bed and Breakfast cost’s only, which off course we have.

Thanks

Kind regards,

Accounts Manager
    New Fax Number: *******

Simple (and legal) rule - you can only claim for expenses you have incurred. A receipt is a good way to prove you have incurred it.

If your umbrella is allowing you to claim as expenses money that you haven't spent and you are not showing that as earned income on your tax form, then you (not they) are committing tax evasion by not declaring that income. Expenses are not "tax free" income, they are only tax neutral since they are revenue neutral - you get back only what you've spent out, so there is no gain so there is no taxable income

So ignore their sales-induced nonsense, only claim for what you actually spend, becuase that's all you're entitled to. Otherwise you are breaking a couple of very serious laws.

HTH
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Expenses - Subsistence

I think you are right to be careful here.

When HMRC issued its subsistence guidance in April 09 we updated our guidance which is here

In this, when running your own Limited Company we advise that if the actual expense is less than the agreed HMRC subsistence allowance ( and there is a dispensation in force ) then an employee claims the lesser amount.

On a practical level, does it not seem unlikely that HMRC would be happy that an employee is encouraged to "profit" tax free from a dispensation agreement ? For instance the guidance is clear that if an employee takes a packed lunch, then there is no cost incurred and so no subsistence claim at all. Logic surely suggests that HMRC would view any "profit" from a dispensation being operated in this way as a taxable benefit you have received.

The HMRC subsistence guidance says that
      What records would an employer need to keep?
      An employer will need to keep sufficient records to be able to demonstrate that the employee was entitled to the payment. An employer also needs to be able to demonstrate that routine checks are undertaken to ensure that the travel expenses rules are being followed.
      Is this consistent with

As part of the dispensation agreement with the Revenue the allowable subsistence is non-receipted, so if you were to have an audit like we did last year the Revenue would not ask, or even be able to ask for receipted proof for the subsistence as covered under the dispensation.
      I am not so sure myself.

I would be most careful and consider your options. Whilst an employer has an obligation to deduct tax correctly from your remuneration it is your personal tax liability that could be at risk at the end of the day as well.

Phil

Comment

There is another possibility. Scale Rates. This is a different regime which has recently been extended. You can find some current information about how scale rates etc work on HMRC website and also the sticky at the top of this page was recently updated.

Comment

ASB is right that some companies do operate scale rates but the employee will still have to prove that an additional cost has been incurred. I belive HMR&C themselves introduced scale rates to reduce paperwork but, as I understand it, their employees have to sign an agreement when they claim scale rates that a cost has been incurred. e.g. if they normally spend £5 on lunch from M&S and they then go to a temporary workplace and still go to M&S and still spend £5 per day on lunch there is no additional cost and therefore the scale rate cannot be applied. If the agreement is signed and the scale rate claimed without an incurred cost the employee would be subject to disciplinary action.

As with any expense claim - if you haven't spent it you can't claim it
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

right thats cleared a few things up.
            However, it looks as though the umbrella will not take my actual receipted expenses and only want to pay out the allowance.
            I guess this is easier for them to do, and if there is any comeback from it, then thats on me not them!
            I think its going to have to be a case of me ditching this company and either setting up with another, or setting up my own ltd company.

With regard to setting up my own ltd co, how hard is this to do?

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
              ASB is right that some companies do operate scale rates but the employee will still have to prove that an additional cost has been incurred. I belive HMR&C themselves introduced scale rates to reduce paperwork but, as I understand it, their employees have to sign an agreement when they claim scale rates that a cost has been incurred. e.g. if they normally spend £5 on lunch from M&S and they then go to a temporary workplace and still go to M&S and still spend £5 per day on lunch there is no additional cost and therefore the scale rate cannot be applied. If the agreement is signed and the scale rate claimed without an incurred cost the employee would be subject to disciplinary action.

As with any expense claim - if you haven't spent it you can't claim it
              One can make a reasonable profit with scale rates - provide one stays in a hovel and eats crap! But yes, the advantage is that provided you spend something extra then the scale rate is legitimately claimable. Of course the intent is that everybody claims a fair average and sampling should be used by the employer to monitor it. Thus if everybody stays in a hovel the scale rates allowable start to diminish.

Comment

Setting Up A Company

With regard to setting up my own ltd co, how hard is this to do?
                No its very simple, and does not cost very much , arround £25. But that is not always the point. IMHO in the current regulatory environment you really do need to want to run your own business and take responsibility for it.

There are some good Limited V Umbrella articles arround on CUK, I have a spreadsheet that does the numbers for you, if you PM me I will send it no obligation :-)

Phil
                Last edited by administrator; 23 June 2009, 01:04.

Comment

Working...
                X