• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ADSL upload speeds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADSL upload speeds

I wonder if any of you learned chaps can offer some advice!

I have the ususal ADSL connection with 256kb upload speed. I have heard rumours that some cable companies offer faster upload speed and was wondering if anyone knew this to be true or not? I'd love to get SDSL but can't justify the cost at the moment so I am looking for ways to increase upload speed as cheaply as possible!

I know nildram offer bonded ADSL to double/triple/quadruple upload/download speed but you also have to pay for additional broadband 'lines'.

Thanks everso!

If you cable in your area (as opposed to ADSL) the upload speeds are generally about twice as fast. My NTL easily clocks 400K on a bad day.

Or you can always rent two cheap adsl lines (e.g. uk online £9.99 a month) and get a load balancing router and two adsl modems.

Comment

Forgot to mention I need a fixed IP in with all this, as I host my own web and email services. Having two separate lines in could cause a few hiccups.

No cable in my area, we're all sky'd up instead. No, I am not going to consider satellite b/band. Ouch! Hurty pocket!

Comment

Just an idea but why not have your mail and web hosted professionally?

You'll get a much faster link than hosting at home and more reliability. US hosts are pretty cheap. I use http://www.webmail.us/ for mail servers.

There's loads of web hosts out there. Hosting at home is not really viable for anything other than testing or staging if you expect any decent amount of traffic.

Comment

Dim is right, it's far better to get it hosted properly. I don't know of any ADSL servives offering more that 256 up, and on Telewest I only get 384 up. 10MB down though, so it's not all bad.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Bulldog 8 Megabit ADSL is 400k upload.
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

But Bulldog 8 mbit is available to about 0.000000001% of the population, or Barry Smith in SW1 as he is known.

Comment

I have it, all that matters.
                Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  <on Telewest I only get 384 up. 10MB down though, so it's not all bad. >

Just wait until NTL get to work on that...
                  Fkin tell me about it. Capped service at 3MB in line with NTL, download limits, can't flippin wait.
                  Friend of mine works for Telewest, he reckons it's a done deal to transfer all the Customer Services operations to NTL. Looks like Telewest customers can look forward to the usual NTL crap service. They can't cope with the complaints they get now, wait 'til they pi$$ off another 800,000 or so.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I don't want to pay for hosting of email and web services as I can do it myself for free!

Comment

Working...
                    X