• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to Pay...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to Pay...

Am I right in thinking that the Gvt has introduced some measures whereby small businesses can apply for additional time to pay certain taxes?

Does it include CT?
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

This is something that has been exercising my mind for a couple of months. I have a large Corp Tax bill looming based on last year's income, which was excellent, but I have to pay it this year, when my rate has taken a hit - additionally the current contract is coming to an end in a few weeks !

This link would seem to indicate that delayed payment of Corp Tax is a possibility. Think I may give them a ring - will report back here when I do.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pbr2008/business-payment.htm
    Thanks given - 0
    Thanks received - 0
    Likes given - 0
    Likes received - 0
    F*cks given - 0

Comment

Originally posted by CiderEagle View Post
      This is something that has been exercising my mind for a couple of months. I have a large Corp Tax bill looming based on last year's income, which was excellent, but I have to pay it this year, when my rate has taken a hit
      You mean you spent the money you should have been putting aside for CT?

Comment

This is something that has been exercising my mind for a couple of months. I have a large Corp Tax bill looming based on last year's income, which was excellent, but I have to pay it this year, when my rate has taken a hit - additionally the current contract is coming to an end in a few weeks !
        That should only be an issue if your clients have been late paying, or you're an idiot.

Don't spend your CT (or VAT) money.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Nah, I've got the money, but I'm looking ahead to the worst-case scenario where I have no income for three months.
          Thanks given - 0
          Thanks received - 0
          Likes given - 0
          Likes received - 0
          F*cks given - 0

Comment

Nah, I've got the money, but I'm looking ahead to the worst-case scenario where I have no income for three months.
            Closely followed by having no income and having a tax bill that you can't pay?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              Closely followed by having no income and having a tax bill that you can't pay?
              You make a good point ...
              Thanks given - 0
              Thanks received - 0
              Likes given - 0
              Likes received - 0
              F*cks given - 0

Comment

This link would seem to indicate that delayed payment of Corp Tax is a possibility. Think I may give them a ring - will report back here when I do.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pbr2008/business-payment.htm
                I thought it was breaking the law to spend corp tax? Enough funds have to be kept in the accounts to pay all estimated company taxes, so even in a new tax year, if you have received some payments you cannot spend the estimated corp tax part of it?
                Last edited by SuperZ; 26 June 2009, 11:51.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
                  I thought it was breaking the law to spend corp tax? Enough funds have to be kept in the accounts to pay all estimated company taxes, so even in a new tax year if you have received some payments you cannot spend the estimates corp tax part of it?
                  Really? I've had a directors loan that has to be paid back before CT is due, accountant didn't seem bothered as long as I paid in time. Starting to panic a little now.

I notice on the CT600 form the extra tax for my director’s loan was calculated? I assume this is in case I don't pay it back by then?
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
                    I thought it was breaking the law to spend corp tax? Enough funds have to be kept in the accounts to pay all estimated company taxes, so even in a new tax year if you have received some payments you cannot spend the estimates corp tax part of it?
                    Common sense, not law me thinks.
                    Originally posted by cailin maith
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Working...
                    X