• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Partitionable PHP content management systems?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partitionable PHP content management systems?

Does anyone know if there are any PHP content management systems where you can partition the server to make multiple sites from one instance.

So for example I have a standard site look and feel and I want have 20 clients sites sharing the same server I can just go into an admin page add the clients names and hey presto I have just created 20 sites which presumably have slightly different URLS. Each client can then admin their own content.

Most of the ones that I have looked at it is 1 site per instance which is a bit crap.

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Most of the ones that I have looked at it is 1 site per instance which is a bit crap.
    From the little I know about it, aren't you limited to 1 instance per site so that the server folks can charge you for each database?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      From the little I know about it, aren't you limited to 1 instance per site so that the server folks can charge you for each database?

Not came across that before but I don;t have much experience of using hosted PHP systems. I would most likely use my own server though so anything goes.

I could run 20 instances under different ports on the one machine and mess about with DNS but that would be a bit crap.

Comment

You could run multiple CMS's off one database by using prefixes for the database tables but I suspect performance of the CMS's would be awful and a DB crash would take out all your CMS instances. Not a good idea doing that I guess.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          You could run multiple CMS's off one database by using prefixes for the database tables but I suspect performance of the CMS's would be awful and a DB crash would take out all your CMS instances. Not a good idea doing that I guess.
          Yea, i used to use e107 and that was what they used but that means that I would still be left with 20 CMS server instances hanging off 1 database. I suppose I could just run 20 different DBs under mysql. It's not a mission critical site so if the DB went down it would not be massive.

My hope was to use DNS so www.theirdomainname.com went to

my.ser.ver.ip?client=theirdomainname

and the front page would know from the attribute name which tables to pick up.
          Last edited by minestrone; 29 June 2009, 19:08.

Comment

I'm monkeying around with an account at Free Hostia which is free with 1 mySQL database and PHP etc installed. If you wanted to try something out it is a fair platform for nowt. I'm monkeying around with PHPBB3 presently.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Is there any reason why you couldn't set up each client site as a differnet virtual host in Apache and then just install a CMS on each site?

There is the obvious tediousness of setting each host up, but cPanel would make that a lot easier, and it could be scripted...

It would save loads of programming hassle in trying to determine which customer the request was actually meant for.
              Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                Is there any reason why you couldn't set up each client site as a differnet virtual host in Apache and then just install a CMS on each site?

There is the obvious tediousness of setting each host up, but cPanel would make that a lot easier, and it could be scripted...

It would save loads of programming hassle in trying to determine which customer the request was actually meant for.
                I worked on a site a few years ago where we used virtual hosts but it all came back to the same server dealing out the content management info. Back in the days when you had to write your own CMS system.

Client sites could be a problem and would probably eat into the bottom line.

They way I wrote the application, and I have seen this on another application I worked on was to have a field in each table holding the client ID. I assume there must be a CMS system that could do this. Setting up a new site would just be a matter of configuration in an admin section and to access it would just be a slightly changed URL.

Comment

Looks possible with drupal

http://drupal.org/node/43816

Comment

Originally posted by SirSickboy View Post
                    Looks possible with drupal

http://drupal.org/node/43816
                    Cheers, That looks ideal actually. I could make more than one DB under the same mySQL for each client and just copy the site folder around. It would take about 20 minutes to set up the site probably.

I had a good search for this but I think I was using the wrong term, seems multsite is the word these days rather than partitionable.

That's my weekend buggered now learning drupal.

Comment

Working...
                    X