• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permanent to contract switch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permanent to contract switch

Hello everyone,

I have recently been made redundant after 5 years in IT department. I started as programmer and progressed to Technical lead programmer I have been looking for work for the past 1 month. I have sent an average of 5 job applications each day in the past 1 month, without any single interview. A friend of mine has suggested to go for contracting which on further research by me led to this site. But I have absolutely no insight to as.. of how does contracting works just a little bit that a contract is responsible to pay for its own taxes and would need an accountant, can claim back expenses as tax free money, needs good network or networking skills to secure a contract, be wary of fake agents and agencies.
    What I don't know is how to get about getting a contract that is ..... is it just like sending one's CV to an agent or directly approaching companies for contract work.
    Guys, any comments/opinions/suggestions/ideas are welcomed.

Cheeers,

Josh

ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by gotiya View Post
      Guys, any comments/opinions/suggestions/ideas are welcomed.

Cheeers,

Josh
      Have you tried the search facility?
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Have you tried the search facility?
        Indeed. Look for "First Timer Guides".

BTW, there's a recession on, experienced contractors can't find work either.

BTW, contracting is not the easy option, it's a career choice in its own right.

BTW, learn to write better English. If your CV is anything like your post, you're in trouble.

HTH
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hi Josh, you have only one thing to be concerned about - securing a contract. Read all the guides by all means but finding work is 99% of the battle and where you should devote most energy.
          Get on the job boards and target roles you are a VERY good match for, same industry, level of work, v.similar project etc.
          Edit CV to match job requirements and remove any ref to hobbies etc, 75% match won't get anything at the moment, you need to be an exact match for the role described.
          Follow up email + CV with a call to the agent, shows you are keen, available, might raise you out of the pile of 100's (good luck getting through, I never bother).
          At interview, you can do the job from day one, none of this potential, grow into the role, pick it up b******s, you can do it and prove it from previous work done.
          IF you get the contract, sorting LTD co's/umbrella is a phonecall/email away and you can pick up the rest as you go.
          GET THE WORK, THE REST IS MINOR DETAILS.

Good luck.

Comment

Most agents will ask you for a couple of references for the contract, so you should give them the name of your last manager and his/her manager too. Clients are very fussy and the agent will definitely need to check these out before he can submit your CV.

You also need to be totally honest about where your CV has been sent to. If you are submitted twice it will look very bad in the eyes of the client, so it's important to let other agents know.

Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              Most agents will ask you for a couple of references for the contract, so you should give them the name of your last manager and his/her manager too. Clients are very fussy and the agent will definitely need to check these out before he can submit your CV.

You also need to be totally honest about where your CV has been sent to. If you are submitted twice it will look very bad in the eyes of the client, so it's important to let other agents know.

Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Comment

Well said. And if you find they still want more references, please feel free to give them some of mine...I have plenty of spare ones to go round.

http://tinyurl.com/kst93

Comment

Working...
                  X