• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benched 4 Weeks now and not a single interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benched 4 Weeks now and not a single interview

Promises and more promises, my looks good for the role CV blah blah but then what happens?

Silence. Nothing. Zip.

Is the market really better than it was 6 months ago? Too many clients are demanding sector experience despite the lame ass jobs they are advertising.

What's peoples' experience of getting interviews in this market, especially on the PM side of the fence?

P

It's very, very quiet and extremely tough out there still, IMO.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      It's very, very quiet and extremely tough out there still, IMO.
      It usually goes quiet July/Aug. Pickup again Sep/Oct.

Though this year is a quiet year.

Comment

The market is dire - I've now come to the view that this is worse than 2001/2.

I left my last role on Dec 19th and didn't get an interview until 2nd June.

Since then I've had one 2nd round interview at the same client.

Even in good times July/August is dead so I'm now looking towards the autumn for the next uptick in activity.
        Last edited by HeadOfTesting; 8 July 2009, 11:18.

Comment

It's so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

I can't believe things have gotten as bad as this.

Comment

4 weeks? Pah, you're just a beginner! I've been on the bench for 4 months, and there are loads of people who've been there longer than me.

I've only had 2 interviews in that time. I was a good fit for both and thought the interviews went well, but no offers so far...........

I don't think there's any trick to getting interviews. All you can do is make sure your CV looks good, apply for anything that seems a possibility, and keep plugging away. I try to call the agents after I've sent my CV to have a chat but it's rare that one will actually take the call nowadays.

The ratio of applicants to jobs is higher now than it has been for years by a long way; I'm afraid there is an element of luck in getting your CV in front of the client and being called for interview.

However, I do think the market has shown signs of starting to move a little in the last couple of weeks - it was dreadful during May/early June.

The best of luck to you; I hope you get something soon.

Comment

Why not retrain and do something else?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                It usually goes quiet July/Aug. Pickup again Sep/Oct.

Though this year is a quiet year.
                WHS - Silly season means managers, accounts, HR, the lot are all more concerned about their holiday plans then resource issues.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Retrain in what?

I do IT PM, have background in development / TIS / etc.

My plan is to go to Oz on a Working Holiday Visa at the end of the year, and look for work there. But before that I want to build up more cash assets by getting one more contract.

Retrain? There is nothing much else I'd like to do in IT!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
                    Promises and more promises, my looks good for the role CV blah blah but then what happens?

Silence. Nothing. Zip.

Is the market really better than it was 6 months ago? Too many clients are demanding sector experience despite the lame ass jobs they are advertising.

What's peoples' experience of getting interviews in this market, especially on the PM side of the fence?

P

Spend the rest of the day phoning or emailing everyone you have ever worked with or for in the past.
                    One of them will either give you an 'in' or know someone else that is looking for someone with your skills.

Then pick an agent of your choice (the client will want to use an agent mostly) and decide on your Ts&Cs.

PZZ

Comment

Working...
                    X