• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

discussing rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

discussing rates

Generally when on site with other contractors, do you discuss rates for other guys in your team, or do you keep quiet?
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Originally posted by n5gooner
    Generally when on site with other contractors, do you discuss rates for other guys in your team, or do you keep quiet?
    I don't (how can you be sure they tell the truth?). Do you really think Milan makes 8 euros an hour? He dreams about that, as he is an illegal brasilian worker on 5 euros an hour under the table.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

So what would you do if you did know you were on different rates?

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix
        Adjust your working times so you reset equilibrium?
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

No - if I'm on more I don't want them going back to the wallet and asking for more using me as a reason, cos then my next raise is under threat.

and if they get more then I'd rather not know.

And if they are sensible they'll never tell the truth.

Comment

it all depends I guess

If you are doing the same job roll as another contractor, in theory you should be on the same rate, but it depends what you have negotiated. It would be "fair" to be on the same rate, it may make others uncomfortable if there is not a level playing field, but being a hard nosed contractor you could say everyone looks out for themselves.
            SA says;
            Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

(whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix

ask the agent to make the diffrence, they must have leaverage on the % they make, I guess it depends if the gap is say £3 or £33 ph
              SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

True my little Arsenal chum...But do you approach the Pimp (Agent) and ask for a larger slice of his margin? Or do you run the risk of being beaten while pinned to the bonnet of his pink Ford Console!!

Comment

Never do, it only cause's hassle for someone and will nearly always bounce back negatively on you either directly or indirectly later on.

Comment

Once had a project administrator who blurted out what I was being paid over the christmas lunch to the permies. It created mayhem in the land of permiedom as I was on 5* the permie rate. Still I was training the permies and having to stay away from home.

Comment

Working...
                    X