• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where's these aliens then, eh?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's these aliens then, eh?

I just realised my SETI@Home account is a little over ten years old.

For ten years I've been doing my bit listening out for alien chatter and there's been bugger all.

9.83 years of processing time I've donated. I've burned out the fan and processor in a laptop for them.

So where's these bloomin' aliens?

And across all the BOINC projects, I've done 112 x 10^15 FLOPS. But still no aliens or cure for malaria or nuffink.

Is this all just a waste of CPU time?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Is that still going? I can remember all the dweebs having that going in the office around 2001.

I bet it's just pretending to do research and it's probably really running statistical modeling for some IB in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      I bet it's just pretending to do research and it's probably really running statistical modeling for some IB in the background.
      Project Echelon

Comment

Is that still going? I can remember all the dweebs having that going in the office around 2001.
        Dweebs?

... I have started to use as a server and I am leaving it on all the time now...
        Can anyone recommend a java hosting company? Requirements would be: Tomcat 6; MySQL 5; own JVM; access to own log files...
        MySQL triggers: passing a PK to a stored proc on the row that forced trigger?
        Turning your phone into a mobile hotspot?
        I have set up a mySQL DB on ubuntu and want to access it remotely with query browser from my windows machine...
        Setting up a linux mail server...
        Partitionable PHP content management systems?
        So, you're not a dweeb?

My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I was going to say at the end of that "and when a programmer calls someone a dweeb that is bad"

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            I just realised my SETI@Home account is a little over ten years old.

For ten years I've been doing my bit listening out for alien chatter and there's been bugger all.
            Actually, we're already here...we have disguised ourselves as cheap Indian IT workers and are already TAKING OVER YOUR WORLD!!!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Comment

Working...
            X