• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rents query and money lost on investment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rents query and money lost on investment

3 Years ago I invested in a new Hotel being built in Florida, I invested in 2 rooms, unfortunately the developer and his Bank ran into trouble at the start of the credit squeeze and went under. I got some money back that was sitting in escrow but I lost around £50k.

Now I know that I would have paid tax on any rentals or profits that I may have made if I bought the income back to the UK but where do I stand on the loss that I have suffered, can I reclaim as a tax loss in some way?

I assume what you invested in would have been taxed as capital gain (you bought an asset?). In which case, this might be useful: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2001...pitalgainstax1
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

You can only offset a capital loss against a capital gain. You can carry this loss forward to offset future capital gains - for example, selling a BTL property you might have gained on.

It's possible that - if you have a large stash in your Co account - you can close down the company, apply ESC16 (or whatever it's called now) and take most of it as a capital gain, and then offset the loss against this gain.

Comment

Working...
      X