• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Max cost to meet a potential client...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Max cost to meet a potential client...

How do you limit the spend for a 1st time meet and greet?

I've had a call for a fixed price job, which is all well and good. However getting to the client for a face to face for the day is going to cost me near £500

Have you ever spent this much cash on visiting a client? I'm the only candidate for the job at the moment, a plus, and I could recover the cost if a positive outcome.

Are they're any pointers of measuring the risk? I'm the only candidate for the job so far.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

I've had a call for a fixed price job, which is all well and good. However getting to the client for a face to face for the day is going to cost me near £500

Have you ever spent this much cash on visiting a client? I'm the only candidate for the job at the moment, a plus, and I could recover the cost if a positive outcome.

Are they're any pointers of measuring the risk? I'm the only candidate for the job so far.
    1. Isn't it tax-deductible for your ltd co?

2. Is £500 the cost - isn't there a cheaper way of getting there? Example: I was benched for a couple of weeks in Leeds a few years ago and had an interview in Amsterdam so took a bus(!) there (NOT recommended).

Comment

Ask em if it can be done over the phone.
      Ask em to come to you.
      Meet them half way.

Ask for expenses.

Ask them to sign the contract first.

PZZ

Comment

Cost of doing fixed price IMO. Sounds a bit much, but totally tax deductible.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I'm going for it.

Thanks for the advice. Nothing ventured nothing gained imo.

PS: Yes business expense so totally tax deductible, however, I shall give the bus a miss!!
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I'm going for it.

Thanks for the advice. Nothing ventured nothing gained imo.

PS: Yes business expense so totally tax deductible, however, I shall give the bus a miss!!
            Good idea, 'twas tulip.

Comment

That sounds similar to a gig i was interviewed for - you're not meeting the client in watford by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Ltd ability View Post
                That sounds similar to a gig i was interviewed for - you're not meeting the client in watford by any chance?
                Not exactly an interview, but I once had a meeting at Watford Gap services. It was equidistant for both of us.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I've shelled close to that to get to an interview before and didn't get the role.

It would have been in Havant anyway so I'm thankfull
                  Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
                  I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                    Good idea, 'twas tulip.
                    I'm in Holland at the moment and am looking temptingly at the 30 euros return trip from Amsterdam to London on the Eurolines bus (I guess that was who you went with?).
                    (Compares well with 550 club class return on BA.com)
                    But it takes 12 hours to get there, assuming the channel tunnel is not on fire.
                    Is it really hell on wheels?

Comment

Working...
                    X